Why become a member? ×

Best/favourite strings for StingRay (4-string)?

AinsleyWalker

[color=#222222]I play a StingRay and I've always gone for Ernie Balls, as they're the most readily available. Occasionally I've gotten D'Addarios but I've never really done a proper tone comparison between the two.[/color]

[color=#222222]I'm going to get it set up soon to sort out action issues and while the strings get changed I thought I’d see if anyone had any suggestions of makes or gauges?
StingRays can be a bit ‘pingy’ and bite more than growl at times, I play fingerstyle and with a pick about 50/50, depends what I’m playing, so perhaps a string set that might accommodate that and balance out the natural high-end of the bass while adding a bit of low growl would be good.[/color]
[color=#222222]I use a few pedals (listed in my sig) so that might affect any choices[/color]

[color=#222222] [/color]

[color=#222222]Cheers![/color]

I've got TI Jazz Flats on my 3EQ Ray, and Labella 760FL Flats on my 2EQ EBMM SUBs (one fretted, one fretless).

I've had Ernie Ball and GHS rounds on them before - in fact I've still got a couple of unopened packs in case I ever feel the need to go back.... haven't yet though!

I have recently changed to D'Addario Pro Steel strings and am suitably impressed with them. I too play fingerstyle & with a pick. I then completely changed my rig and they still sound great.

I have used Rotosound Nickel rounds and Elites before but am happy to stick with the D'Addario's

2EQ and 3EQ Stingrays - I still always use Ernie Ball Hybrids 45-105, play 100 % finger, with the occasional thumbing dub styleeeee.
Tried DR's, GHS Bummers, and Rotosounds (after many years of being an only Rotosound guy on Fenders) .. and always come back to the EB's ... Nothing else sounds right to me... but I do like an aggressive bitey tone, as I find it's easier to tame when needed with a bit of eq and playing adjustment than add the bite afterwards..

• 2 weeks later...