Why become a member? ×

NEUBD - Oh I say!

Jenny_Innie

Welcome to the world of EUB! Enjoy the broad spectrum of mixed reactions at gigs - all the way from those that just have to tell you it is "not as good as a real one" and those that think it's great.

I especially like the ones who don't notice, and then get all uppity about it not being real once they have been told!

I think it is hilarious!

Enjoy! Whether you feel guilty about people making you feel like you're not being a true double bass player or not, they can still be a hoot to play!

Edited by Huge Hands

Aha, I saw your other thread, and wondered when you'd take the leap :)
But my word, that was quick!

Enjoy your new toy - don't try to play it the same as a BG
Change those strings, and just play it :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1447865886' post='2911091']
Welcome to the wonderful world of upright bass. You'll have a blast.
[/quote]

Thank you. I have spotted that music is a bit more eclectic here are uni - so thought I'd hang with the cool dudettes. I sort of plan to have a proper full-on acoustic bass at one point - as I think they look the coolest thing when people play them. But that'll be way down the line, as I don't really have the space and I thought I'd dip my toe in the water first. For £365 (sort of decent Squier P bass money) - couldn't resist.

I have to say, looking at it initially - it looks very well-made for the money. It's also very cool looking. I mean uber cool. I intend to catch a couple of lessons from one of the lecturers here (he's an upright Jedi master) - in return for some assistance with his study computer network (at that, it's me who's the ninja).

Congratulations....but be careful,an upright is seriously addictive...but what a way to go!Have fun and if you work at it all of your bass playing will improve and you will love it.I'm hooked and have become a much better musician because of it.I started upright with a Stagg and have moved on to a Yamaha SLB 200 and who knows what's next-a real DB?It's pretty scary.....

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1447874026' post='2911178']
£365? where did you get that from Jenny?

Uprite is something i intend to be looking into when funds allow
[/quote]

I found it in stock here for £365 - but asked Andertons if they would price match and they did. [url="http://goo.gl/j7KM4h"]http://goo.gl/j7KM4h[/url]

First impressions?

Reminds me of that time I went to a corporate event and had a go at driving a monster truck in a field. I can drive a car just fine, but the monster truck? Oh, it was a bit big and scary, with funny controls - and I couldn't really get it moving. But after a while, some patience and a few tips from the instructor I got all the way 'round the field. Slowly, but I managed it in the end.

I think this will be more or less the same.

I've only been playing DB a few years but I have to say it's one of the most "fun" instruments to play. I can't tell you why, or even explain what I really mean by fun in this instance, but there is just something about it that makes playing and learning enjoyable in a pretty special way.
Excuse the ramble, but welcome to the upright club :¬)