Why become a member? ×

Discount Ear Protection!

chaypup

Just ordered some. It's been on my 'to do' list for a while, I have to have a yearly hearing test through work and I know I've lost more top end than I should of so it's time to start using something.
Thanks for the discount code :).

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1447882491' post='2911282']
£15 for earplugs?! You must have money to burn!

I just use those foam yellow ones typical in workshops etc.
[/quote]

Apples is apples and oranges are something else.
My custom moulded ACS Pros were about £135 and worth every penny.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
sorry - YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY AND YOU TAKES YOUR CHOICE - CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? ;)

Edited by phil.c60

I used to pay a small boy to stand on a box behind me and put his fingers in my ears, in the break he would shine my shoes, but that was frowned upon so I thought I'd try these.

I've got boxes full of foam ones at work but they just muffle everything, hopefully these won't. If they do then at least it's only the price of a slice of caviar on bruschetta wasted.

I've had very similar to these, and they were very good. Eventually I got some custom fit ACS Pros, and they're even better - I wear them to concerts and pub gigs, too. Proper attenuation, rather than just muffled reduction in SPL (which is what the foam ones do).

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1447883544' post='2911293']

Apples is apples and oranges are something else.
My custom moulded ACS Pros were about £135 and worth every penny.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
sorry - YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY AND YOU TAKES YOUR CHOICE - CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? ;)
[/quote]
+1. You pays your money and you take your chances. Custom ACS moulded plugs are IME the safest,best and for me only option when it comes to hearing protection.
The cheap and cheerful one size fits all variety were my thing for a while, until I developed tinnitus and hearing loss. When I presented them to the Audiologist he had a giggle and chucked them in the bin.
Now I use ACS moulded plugs, have my hearing checked regularly and the are protecting whats left of my hearing.
The best investment I have ever made.

There's nowt wrong with foam earplugs or even cotton wool if what you want is simply to protect your eardrums.

On the other hand, if you want to protect your eardrums AND still be able to listen properly to what's going on, without deadening or muffling the sound, then you need proper earplugs such as ER17s.

If you want to protect your eardrums AND still be able to listen properly to what's going on AND to hear as clearly as if you weren't wearing any protection at all, then you need top-of-the-range filter plugs such as ER15s or ER20s.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1447920100' post='2911410']
There's nowt wrong with foam earplugs or even cotton wool if what you want is simply to protect your eardrums.

On the other hand, if you want to protect your eardrums AND still be able to listen properly to what's going on, without deadening or muffling the sound, then you need proper earplugs such as ER17s.

If you want to protect your eardrums AND still be able to listen properly to what's going on AND to hear as clearly as if you weren't wearing any protection at all, then you need top-of-the-range filter plugs such as ER15s or ER20s.
[/quote]

Yes I must admit I would like things a bit clearer, although I've kind of got used to the muffled sound.

I was starting to think that the foam ones I've been using might not be offering the protection I thought they were... that was my concern :blink:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447920347' post='2911413']
Yes I must admit I would like things a bit clearer, although I've kind of got used to the muffled sound.

I was starting to think that the foam ones I've been using might not be offering the protection I thought they were... that was my concern :blink:
[/quote]

I found the leap up to non-fitted yet proper plugs worth the outlay in terms of added clarity. They're still a little muffled (then I used the max protection version) but it is certainly easier to hear properly than with lumps of foam shoved in your ears. From what I can tell they seem to do the job very well too. Even when the band is loud I never have any discomfort nor any odd sensations/after-noise following a practice/gig. It just sounds like we are playing at reasonable front room volumes and all of the nasty sharpness is gone.

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1447882491' post='2911282']
£15 for earplugs?! You must have money to burn!

I just use those foam yellow ones typical in workshops etc.
[/quote]

You obviously dont think that your hearing is a priceless asset to have. People think nothing about spending hundreds of pounds on bass "accessories" but spend little or nothing on the most important one...your hearing...without which..would render all the other "accessories" redundant. Anyway, it's your hearing and so.. your call.

I would advise people to spend as much as they can afford, to protect their hearing.

Foam plugs are designed typically for protection in industrial environments where excessive noise is a factor. So if you are using a kango breaker fine, but I want to protect my hearing whilst being able to properly hear, experience and enjoy the music, so that it allows for a proper performance.( I am a pretty average player, so need any advantage I can get).

ACS customs give me this opportunity every time. Foam plugs in a musical situation destroy the experience IME but if its spending a day on the building site, then happy days with the foam plugs.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1447920100' post='2911410']

[/quote][quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447923915' post='2911448']
I found the leap up to non-fitted yet proper plugs worth the outlay in terms of added clarity. They're still a little muffled (then I used the max protection version) but it is certainly easier to hear properly than with lumps of foam shoved in your ears. From what I can tell they seem to do the job very well too. Even when the band is loud I never have any discomfort nor any odd sensations/after-noise following a practice/gig. It just sounds like we are playing at reasonable front room volumes and all of the nasty sharpness is gone.
[/quote]

Both of these, but also, when i did a lot of clay pigeon shooting years ago I always used cans because I really really didn't like the feeling of foam or wax plugs stuffed in my ears, and not being able to hear clearly at normal volumes, so when I wanted ear plugs for music purposes I deliberately went for custom moulded ones despite the cost. They are great: I can have them in for 2-3 hours at rehearsals and all night at a gig without any discomfort or irritation. As someone else said, people think nothing of paying silly money for pedals, amps, cabs, guitars - why skimp on this?

I have two sets - one I use with the attenuators for gigs (mine and others), the others I have monitors in, which I use for gigs where I use in-ear monitoring, and for home rehearsing, listening to music, etc. I can wear them for hours without discomfort, they're invaluable. I also use them in work when I'm in the data centres, they're fantastic for this, too. Oh, and under my helmet when I'm on a bike....

Anyone who thinks first about the cost of hearing protection probably hasn't noticed that they have lost part of that critical sense and is playing Russian roulette with what they have left. Spend an evening with the TV turned down so you can only just hear it, then put the radio on in the same room. Can you follow the TV program? That's what you're facing if you loose the high mids and top end of your hearing.

I've lost some of mine and it isn't fun living with a "disability" and one that restricts your ability to communicate. Trying to lip read in noisy environments and asking people to repeat every sentence is a pain. When your hearing is impaired that's it, your life changes, and not in a good way.

I go up to Santa Pod a couple of times a year and I used my ACS ER15's [i]and[/i] ear defenders for the Top Fuel cars. I'm amazed how many people don't use any protection when these cars go by.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1447926357' post='2911466']
You obviously dont think that your hearing is a priceless asset to have. People think nothing about spending hundreds of pounds on bass "accessories" but spend little or nothing on the most important one...your hearing...without which..would render all the other "accessories" redundant. Anyway, it's your hearing and so.. your call.

I would advise people to spend as much as they can afford, to protect their hearing.
[/quote]
I'm wearing hearing protection you wazuck... read the post.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447935885' post='2911567']
This all seems to be about quality of sound though...

Are the cheapie foam ones fit for purpose, as in will I damage my hearing by using them?

Are more expensive ones going to offer me better protection or just a better sound?
[/quote]
Just a more defined sound. I've been using the yellow foam ones for 10 years and can still catch high frequencies with my ears off monitors/screens etc. Don't fall for the claptrap of it will offer more protection/those one's aren't safe.

Yep it's all about a more defined sound, plus comfort. The yellow foam ones clearly work to simply block out sound/cut spl. That,s OK if you simply want to spend time in a noisy environment you just don't wan to go deaf, but don't really care about the quality of what you hear, or want to be able to have a conversation at normal volumes when the sound level is low ie between songs or at rehearsals.
If you are not worried about the quality of what you hear, why worry about "tone" at all, why worry about how good the PA is, what amp you use, what cabs, what strings, etc etc. If you can't hear anything except woolly sound anyway so how can you judge what you sound like?.
Just my view, ymmv. You could work on the basis that Evelyn Glennie is stone deaf but the worlds number one percussionist, so why worry if your hearing is just woolly with foam plugs in (I can just [i]feel[/i] it, man!) but I'd bet she would rather be able to hear.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447935885' post='2911567']
This all seems to be about quality of sound though...
Are the cheapie foam ones fit for purpose, as in will I damage my hearing by using them?
Are more expensive ones going to offer me better protection or just a better sound?
[/quote]

Ha! You've spent thousands on Wal basses, Glock amps and Berg cabs (and nicely done, btw) - but baulk at shelling out a few quid for decent hearing protection? Now I've heard everything! I SAID, NOW I'VE HEARD EVERYTHING!! :D

Foam plugs are rubbish compared with even the cheapest ER-type plugs. You want to hear what your expensive gear is doing, right? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447940973' post='2911667']
Ha! You've spent thousands on Wal basses, Glock amps and Berg cabs (and nicely done, btw) - but baulk at shelling out a few quid for decent hearing protection? Now I've heard everything! I SAID, NOW I'VE HEARD EVERYTHING!! :D

Foam plugs are rubbish compared with even the cheapest ER-type plugs. You want to hear what your expensive gear is doing, right? :)
[/quote]

Ha!.. no i'm not begruding the cost or benefits of a proper set of earplugs. I was more worrying that I've put my faith in the little foam ones for so long and they might not have been providing the protection I thought they were :blink: