Why become a member? ×

Who's the worst band you've seen live?

ubit

In light of my recent thread about who was the last band you seen live, I was wondering,after reading the replies and hearing how good most of the bands have been, who has been a disappointment? I wanted a rogues gallery of bad bands to avoid. As I said in my other thread, Chastity Belt take the plaudits for being the all time most rubbishy band I have ever had the misfortune to see.
Another great disappointment, although it was rather a long time ago, was Sigue Sigue Sputnik, who were slack, made mistakes, looked as if they had no clue. Tony James was the only musician in that band, playing his wierd guitar/bass/keyboard effort that I'm sure someone will tell me was.

The Jesus and Mary Chain, played half a song threw down their instruments and strormed off for no apparent reason! (just to be cool or weird) Never understood it.
I wasn't a fan but went with a girlfriend that was, I paid the entrance for both of us so felt cheated.

Edit to say that was about 84-85 .

Edited by Highfox

Not a band, but tricky from massive attack. He arrived 30 minutes late and too pissed to stand. Did a couple of his songs and then a cover of ace of spades. After realising the crowd sang along, invited 30+ of the crowd on stage and did ace of spades again and repeated the chorus. This lasted about 20 minutes. Could've been longer, I got bored and went to the pub instead.

I feel a little bad saying this (as he regularly takes a hammering in live reviews), but Finlay Quaye in the late 90's was cringingly bad. He just didn't have enough material ready for a full set and was shamblingly terrible.
There are only two gigs that I've walked out of early into the set. One was the re-formed Electric Prunes (60's one hit wonders who I'm not sure had any original members). The other was the Hamsters. They were accomplished enough, I guess, but they just seemed like self-indulgent middle-aged white guy blooze rock dullards living out their adolescent fantasies in a rather tedious fashion. They played a load of Hendrix covers but seemed to miss whatever it was I loved about Hendrix in the first place. I realise they probably have some fans on here, so this is all IMHO of course!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Walter Trout and Poppa Chubby at Islington a few years ago.
A mate had a spare ticket and took me along.
A loud as a loud thing widdle fest that bored me stupid.
Fortunately his other mate was driving, I managed to do a deal with the doorman so that I went to the pub down the road and he rang me when it was ending.
That way I met up with my mates, who'd been bopping down the front, before the place emptied.
They thought I was at the back so I could sneak out for a ciggie, now and then.
They still don't know what I did....

Oh, and a top flight Fleetwood Mac tribute band who took the piss out of a Peter Green song three numbers in.
Out I went and smoked ciggies and drank beer in the late evening Colchester sunshine instead.
My wife stayed in there with our friends but understood my reaction having seen the original Peter Green FM line up with me more than once in the olden days.

Miserable bustard, ain't I?

Edited by Jazzneck

Alice Cooper. He was brilliant the first time I saw him in Nottingham, but just slow and a bit boring the second time at the NEC supporting Motörhead. Bit of a shame really.

The Sisters of Mercy weren't that much cop either, but my mate I went with said they're either amazing or pants.

I think the guy's name was Ty Garner. Bass player arrived 40 minutes late, the band were woefully under rehearsed and there were only 10-15 of us there in a theatre of 360 seats. Only one of two concerts I have walked out on at half time. Shame as he was billed as a great artist.

Talking about loud, I remember in the 80's, going to see Mamas Boys in the Mayfair in Glasgow. They were so loud, it was actually painful and you couldn't discern any of the songs. We spent most of the gig trying to work out which song they were playing ! I could never understand this heavy metal obsession with being the loudest.

Another one from the 80's was the Diamond Head gig in the Glasgow Apollo. Tank were the support. Algy Ward had laryngitis and really shouldn't have performed. They were booed rotten and when the drummer sarcastically threw his drumsticks into the crowd, they were thrown back!

Three contestants from me... I tend to be very selective with my ticket money to ensure a good show. However, you can't choose the support bands!

In 1983 I saw The Opposition on a festival bill that included Chuck Berry, 10cc, Meatloaf, Aswad and Renaissance. They were just turgid...

Heavy Pettin' supporting Magnum at Hammersmith around 1988. The worst sort of 80s hair metal imaginable. And not even bad enough to be a parody of themselves.

Lastly, a slide blues player called Dave Hole who supported Gary Moore on a load of his blues dates. So bad. A complete widdle-monster whose USP was to play with the slide up beyond the end of the neck of his Strat... over the pickups ALL THE TIME... Horrible piercing sound that just cut through your brain. The (and I use the term loosely) musical version of scraping fingernails down a blackboard. He was support on the gigs that became Moore's Blues Alive CD. You've seen bands that emptied a bar, you've seen bands that emptied a club. Have you ever seen a band empty the Royal Albert Hall. We had seats on the main floor but spent 90% of his set sitting on the floor in the corridor outside along with several hundred other folks!

Sisters of Mercy for me as well. Shame, cos they've written some brilliant stuff. Too young to have seen them in their original incarnation in the early 80s, but been to about 5 or so of their gigs since 1990, and they've all been rubbish! Why do i keep going?!!

Only gig I've ever left early Santana at teh Albert Hall, early 80s. Non-stop widdling, down on one knee, back to the audience. At one point the whole band except the percussion section left and those guys cooked for a few minutes. When the band came back on I looked at my drummer mate and didn't even have to say anything. Early tube home.

[quote name='stega' timestamp='1447956422' post='2911858']
Sisters of Mercy for me as well. Shame, cos they've written some brilliant stuff. Too young to have seen them in their original incarnation in the early 80s, but been to about 5 or so of their gigs since 1990, and they've all been rubbish! Why do i keep going?!!
[/quote]

I was lucky enough to see them on the "First Last and Always" tour at Rock City, they were excellent, saw them some years later again at Rock City and they were dreadful, we left well before they finished

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1447958832' post='2911880']
Sex Pistols..... Ability.... Zero..... Life changing.....overnight.... The most exiting thing I have ever seen, but still the worst band in terms of musicianship. Nothing was ever the same again after seeing them...
[/quote]
Really? I thought Jonesy and Matlock weilded a decent axe. Cook not bad at keeping time as well.

I used to get paid to go to gigs as a student... so I saw a lot of live music.
Generally I would make sure I caught the bands, whatever the genre...

Fightstar however I went into the basement of the venue and sat with my fingers in my ears till they finished.

I had been into Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath and the usual mega bands until the night I saw the Pistols. I suppose my judgement was coloured by what I had seen before that night. The overall impression was one of chaos, which we had never seen before, but we all new this was it..... It's difficult to imagine now what it was like for a bunch 19 year old kids,40 years ago, to witness something that did not exist in their minds before that night.....it really cannot be explained...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1447959855' post='2911893']
I had been into Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath and the usual mega bands until the night I saw the Pistols. I suppose my judgement was coloured by what I had seen before that night. The overall impression was one of chaos, which we had never seen before, but we all new this was it..... It's difficult to imagine now what it was like for a bunch 19 year old kids,40 years ago, to witness something that did not exist in their minds before that night.....it really cannot be explained...
[/quote]
Cool.
I just missed them. Too young :( but started going to gigs in 78 at 14 years old :)

Brett Anderson, early 2000s (i.e. post-Suede, pre-Tears). Dull re-runs of Suede material, poor quality solo album material, and way too much getting the audience to sing the chorus because his voice was shot.

Particularly disappointing as I saw Sued twice in 2002 and they were excellent both times - first time supporting Bowie (so had to be good), second time supported by Razorlight, at that time a new band with obvious star quality.