Why become a member? ×

Octave pedal: OC-2, OC-3, Octron...?

AinsleyWalker

I was just going to say COG T16 myself... small, better bypass than BOSS, the addition of a filter control on the octave down... if you don't want an octave up, I'd say this is the best option... but if you can score an OC-2 for a decent price second hand, it is the cheaper option. I love my OC-2, but see a T-16 in my future... I woundn't consider an OC-3, but it is a personal thing. The octron gets good reviews, but have not tried one to comment.

Edited by GazWills

I've had the Aguilar, the MXR and an OC2. OC2 is best if you want to sound a bit synth-like. Aguilar and MXR both do excellent sub without so much of a square wave sound. MXR has more options on tone. Aguilar is super fat (has lo pass filter). P.S for me the MXR tracked the best.

I kept the OC2 as I liked the synthy sound.

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1448060885' post='2912887']
Octron tracks well and upper octave is killer. t65 has better more flexible low end and effects loop to mix in parallel sounds. Depends if you want nasty octave (octron/ Cog) or clean octave(Boss MXR) I guess.
[/quote]

This is something I was discussing with a friend, the way he put it, you can always add dirt.. I'm not sure, like I've said above I quite like the look of the Organizer and have found one for sale... hmmm

Guest FretNoMore

The Organizer has a bit of latency (delay between the dry and effect signal) that you may or may not tolerate, or even see as positive part of the effect - personally I hate that aspect of many digital octavers/pitch shifters.

Edited by FretNoMore

I have an EBS octabass, it's a very sweet sounding, clean octave pedal. I use it on thriller live on tour (clang!), and it's warm and musical. I've borrowed other octaves and currently have an OC-3 on loan for other gigs - I find that pedal very aggressive and slightly 'narrow' in it's tone. I wasn't a huge fan of the EBS when I got it, but the more Octavers I use the more I realise what a nice warm musical octave it gives, especially for RnB, Soul, neo soul type sounds. Worth checking out. Aguilar one is quite sweet but for me/my bass it didn't track with great authority.. Worth trying a bunch if you can, and check out that EBS, I really like it.

Edited by fingerz

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1448098960' post='2912992']
The Organizer has a bit of latency (delay between the dry and effect signal) that you may or may not tolerate, or even see as positive part of the effect - personally I hate that aspect of many digital octavers/pitch shifters.
[/quote]

The Organiser is not designed to be a true octave in the sense that it sits right on top of your note, the lag is part of the design, and can be adjusted with the lag control. My opinion of it is that it sounds awesome with lag (if that's the ambient vibe you're going for), and a bit strange with no lag. If you want a conventional octave, don't buy the Organizer :).....but it is awesome.
OC-2 wins everytime for my money, although interested in trying the new iteration of the EBS, plus the COG T-16, octave might change everything ;)

Si

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1448098960' post='2912992']
[/quote]

I figured the 'Lag' control on it allowed you to control that aspect? Demos seem to imply that anyway...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1448103047' post='2913025']
The Organiser is not designed to be a true octave in the sense that it sits right on top of your note, the lag is part of the design, and can be adjusted with the lag control. My opinion of it is that it sounds awesome with lag (if that's the ambient vibe you're going for), and a bit strange with no lag. If you want a conventional octave, don't buy the Organizer :).....but it is awesome.
OC-2 wins everytime for my money, although interested in trying the new iteration of the EBS, plus the COG T-16, octave might change everything ;)

Si
[/quote]

The thing is I'm really not sure what I'm after.. I might get the Organizer for now, as it seems quite multi-functional, and if the Sub isn't quite 'heavy' enough I may look into a OC-2 in the future. Seem to always been some on eBay going for reasonable prices.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1448108840' post='2913097']
In my experience, Octron really is a great piece of kit and the Oc3 is not, I moved it on fair quickly. I dont know about the OC2. The COG pedal is really neat, the sub octave filter is immense. If you can, check out the COG & OCTRON, both mint pedals.
[/quote]

that filter is what makes the cog for me! can been a warm thick octave or go almost synth

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1448108840' post='2913097']
In my experience, Octron really is a great piece of kit and the Oc3 is not, I moved it on fair quickly. I dont know about the OC2. The COG pedal is really neat, the sub octave filter is immense. If you can, check out the COG & OCTRON, both mint pedals.
[/quote]

Yeah they both sound great, only issue for me is that I've shelled out a fair bit on pedals recently and an octave is more of an 'extra' than an essential, which is why I'm leaning more towards say the Organizer, as it can do some more interesting things perhaps.
I'll likely save up a bit and perhaps investing in a nice octave like the Octron/Cog at a later date I think :)

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1448116156' post='2913142']
Yeah they both sound great, only issue for me is that I've shelled out a fair bit on pedals recently and an octave is more of an 'extra' than an essential, which is why I'm leaning more towards say the Organizer, as it can do some more interesting things perhaps.
I'll likely save up a bit and perhaps investing in a nice octave like the Octron/Cog at a later date I think :)
[/quote]

thing is it wnt do a standard octave if thats what you would like to do aswell?

andy