Why become a member? ×

Strap advice

rasher80

I've just got a G&L Trib L2000 and it's by far the heaviest bass I've owned.

I haven't played standing up for any great length of time but I've found my bog-standard Fender strap isn't distributing the weight all that well. I'm only a small chap to boot!

Can anyone recommend a good strap which is a bit more comfortable with a weighty instrument on the end of it? I was looking at the Mono ones at Bass Direct and they look very comfy indeed!

Cheers

I use the short Mono on my Ric and it only just goes short enough (they do seem to be overly long IMO). I have the slipping of the buckle issue too, but a couple of stitches around the adjuster holds it in place well enough it seems, although that means it's only the right length for that bass. In terms of weight distribution, they are very good, I certainly prefer them to the Comfort Strapp (bounces too much for my liking) YMMV.

[quote name='rasher80' timestamp='1448030981' post='2912508']
Well, I am no Peter Hook but I am no Mark King either! :)

Hopefully the short strap will be just about ok.

Cheers!
[/quote]I'd still check the measurements against your preferred setting before buying. I wear my bass as if it was resting on my knee and there is only about an inch spare (and that's with a Ric which has has higher horn than most other basses).

I used a Mono for a couple of years and it was fine, padded and comfortable but I had the same problem as above. The buckle slides all the time with a heavy bass, I also found it didn't grip on my shoulder very well and the actual hole that went over the strap button stretched and actually tore in the end. I barely move on stage either so this was not due to swinging a heavy bass around.

I like the comfort strapp and will probably order another rather than replace the mono. I still love their stuff though, the mono gig bag I have is one of the best bits of gear I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a Mono. Stitched it into my optimum length (a great Billy Sheehan tip) and it has been fine. However, at last gig the strap button tore - same as post above. Fortunately a good save/luck caught bass. Is this a Mono problem?