Why become a member? ×

E string.

tom1946

I've never seen this mentioned and I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds my E string on any P bass I have quite 'numb' when fretted say.. 3rd - 7th fret? The A string sounds amazing as does the D.

How do I get it to sound deeper and better? hard to explain what I mean. I use EB hybrid slinkys 45-105.

/discuss.

I find this as well, once getting above the A, but mainly on the B. It may be that due to my technique of hitting the strings fairly I hard I lower the E side of the pickup so it doesn`t boom so much. I need that attack for my band, but maybe raising the pickup on that side a tad and playing with less attack would bring better results.

Some good thoughts there guys, thanks for the input, my strings shouldn't be the problem as they are all new and generally sound fine.

I'll have a play with pickup heights and see what happens, maybe the strings are a bit under tensioned or a bit 'floppy' compared to the rest.....
I'm a bit wary about trying other strings and are a bit expensive to just 'throw away' if I don;t like them.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1448181278' post='2913421']
Some good thoughts there guys, thanks for the input, my strings shouldn't be the problem as they are all new and generally sound fine.

I'll have a play with pickup heights and see what happens, maybe the strings are a bit under tensioned or a bit 'floppy' compared to the rest.....
I'm a bit wary about trying other strings and are a bit expensive to just 'throw away' if I don;t like them.
[/quote]

I have had nothing but great results from D'Addario balanced tension (medium). Fantastic D'Ad sound and they really do all feel very balanced. I love a low tension so used to hate the floppy-E thing.

If you wanted to try a set I'd be more than willing to take them off your hands if you didn't like them, I'm about to buy a new set anyway.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1448230851' post='2913883']
I have had nothing but great results from D'Addario balanced tension (medium). Fantastic D'Ad sound and they really do all feel very balanced. I love a low tension so used to hate the floppy-E thing.

If you wanted to try a set I'd be more than willing to take them off your hands if you didn't like them, I'm about to buy a new set anyway.
[/quote]

I will send for a set and see how they go, no dead spots on my basses that I can detect....

I take it you use rounds and like the A for the metallic ring you get compared to the E at the 5th?
If so, push the mids and the E will sound better, although at the 5th, it's always going to be a fuller, thicker sound. If you know this or use flats, kindly disregard this advice ;)

I get the same problem with the bottom E , using Fender 7250M strings , on my Jazz , Precision and Lakland ( Lakland is active ) .
I have used Fender 7250M for years , and always had this problem .
But as said above , if you push the mids up a bit , it does help to get rid of the muddy sound . :P

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1448230851' post='2913883']
I have had nothing but great results from D'Addario balanced tension (medium).
[/quote]

+1 to the benefits of balanced tension strings. I used LaBella myself but the principle is the same. It find that not only do they feel nicer to play, but they also sound more even across the strings that unbalanced versions.

Done some messing around with my Jazz .....raised the action a touch , and lowered the pups a touch ( on bottom E side ) also going through my EBS Multicomp .........MUCH better now , but have ordered a set of D`Addario EXL170BT to see the difference with my normal set up .
Will keep ya posted .

Some P's have quiet E strings and you can compensate with how the pickup is constructed to raise or lower it in relation to and specific string.

What's interesting about your situation is you mention it is in one area and on one string. I would suggest you have some sort of curve going on in that area of the frets/neck which is choking your E string at that point. You should take it to a real good luthier/tech if this may be the case. It might be you need to have some fret work done to give the bass side of the neck the curve your strings need to vibrate. Make sure they are good tho. I ALLWAYS use the gallery in London, as unlike a lot of techs, they really know their stuff. Like I say, if you change strings and it's still there, I would suggest that's your problem. Any other scenario, wouldn't present you with such a unique problem.

Cheers, and good luck!

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1448025256' post='2912407']
my E string on any P bass I have quite 'numb' when fretted say.. 3rd - 7th fret? The A string sounds amazing as does the D.
[/quote]

If it's always the E around the same place on the neck for any and every P bass you've owned/played then it seems to me it can't be an instrument specific issue - so I'd discount neck and/or set-up problems (unless you manage to set every bass up you play with exactly the same measurements). Similarly, if the open A sounds fine then it probably won't be an amplification problem. There is a difference between how the same notes sound when played on different strings, certainly to my ear anyway, so maybe this is mostly what you're hearing?

Put a set of D`Addario EXL170BT on my Jazz prior to rehearsal last night ................balanced volume across strings , feel good , sound good ! (seem VERY easy to play )
I thought the action was high , but when I compared it to my Lakland , it was the same .
Looks like I will be moving from Fender to these , but before I do , I will give this set a run for a while .
Keep ya posted .
Pete

Used EXL 170BT for 2 gigs - ok, but not so impressed now D seems to be a bit quiet . I have raised the treble side of the pups a bit , but the G becomes too loud !
Set up I`m using is ..............Ampeg pf 800 into two Ampeg 115 cabs ( modded with neo speakers , and two extra ports - as per celestion handbook )
Pete

+1

Removed my Gotoh bridge and checked the saddles....................................two grooves in them - one deep and another shallower !

All same - manufacturing fault ?

Anyhow , put an original Fender Bridge on , with stainless saddles , great improvement .

Have ordered some Brass saddles to try .

Pete