Why become a member? ×

My self adjusting bridge

Nicko

Last night everything was fine when I started and but 2 hours later the bass was unplayable because the saddle had moved all the way onto the backplate. This is the second time in about 4 months I've had the same thing happen

I play a top loaded US special precision which has the traditional 4 saddle bridge, each with its own pair or grub screw adjusters.

I'm assuming I can solve this by a dab of clear nail varnish or something, but I'm struggling to understand why this is happening.

If I was paying really heavy strings I'd think it was because there was insufficient tension on the string to hold the saddle firmly enough and prevent the screws moving but I'm playing standard 105 gauge and only tuning to drop D for a couple of songs.

Any ideas?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1448039155' post='2912621']
Have you taken the bridge apart and checked the springs for their strength?

Is this on all strings, or just 1 or 2?
[/quote]

Just the E string. I wasn't aware the springs were supposed to hold the saddle down as well as to maintain the intonation but I'll bear it in mind next time I take the strings off. I maybe should have mentioned its only a couple of years old and I only noticed it recently.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1448040317' post='2912644']
Just the E string. I wasn't aware the springs were supposed to hold the saddle down as well as to maintain the intonation but I'll bear it in mind next time I take the strings off. I maybe should have mentioned its only a couple of years old and I only noticed it recently.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but I'm reading from your question, that the saddle is riding back against the back-plate of the bridge and the spring is getting all squished up and the intonation is going out.

Maybe it would help if you post a pic of the problem? I'd be surprised at you having a major problem on a 2yrs old bass

It sounds to me (after a few reads of the OP) like the grub screws are working loose and lowering the action on the E string. If so, a dab of nail varnish or Loctite should sort it.

I'd be very surprised if the saddle was moving laterally as the break angle on the string down to the anchor point should prevent that

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1448096412' post='2912970']
It sounds to me (after a few reads of the OP) like the grub screws are working loose and lowering the action on the E string. If so, a dab of nail varnish or Loctite should sort it.

I'd be very surprised if the saddle was moving laterally as the break angle on the string down to the anchor point should prevent that
[/quote]

Yes, its this exactly, the saddle ends up on the base plate, affecting action. Sorry I should have been clearer in my first post that its action and vertical movement of the saddle not longitudinal movement.

What I was looking for was some explanation or ideas about why ths is happening but you seem to agree a dab of something to hold it in position might be the immediate answer.

Edited by Nicko

The only thing holding the grub screws in position normally is friction on the threads. If the friction is reduced by some form of lubricant or a slightly looser fit than is optimal, the grub screw can rotate as your bass vibrates. The only force then acting are the strings that naturally want to straighten the break angle across the bridge. So basically you need something to stop the grub screws turning i.e. increase the thread friction