Why become a member? ×

Bowies Latest

Oopsdabassist

He can pretty much do what he wants for me, given his output between 1969 and 1983, so I'll always approach any new song of his wanting to like it.

I think this is brilliant and I absolutely love it.

Spent most of the morning with Mrs Riva trying to work out what it's all about - fundamentalism? one's own mortality? the state of popular culture? - and haven't a clue. He's nearly 70 and he's still managing to challenge the listener and get people thinking.

I'm not sure I can think of any other artist who manages to do that.

Genius Jones.

Edited by Old Man Riva

Well, the astronaut is clearly Major Tom, who's crash-landed on another planet (or maybe future Earth). Everyone's evolved and grown tails and lost their sense of rhythm. Tom is hailed as a god of that new planet. The narrator in the lyrics is a prophet of the new Major Tom religion, and is referring to Tom as the "he", ie "something happened on the day he died". The "Blackstar" is where Tom appeared from - a black hole - and is the symbol of the new religion, much like the cross in Christian religion.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1448226898' post='2913858']

I'm not sure there is a target demographic. He has ideas. They manifest themselves into what you've just watched. He thinks it's perfect and doesn't care what anyone else thinks about. History tells us that he takes some degree of pleasure in doing virtually the opposite of what is expected of him.
[/quote]

I take it Dancing in the Streets isn't included in that XD

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1448323989' post='2914545']

Even so, the song to which you refer is a cover recorded and filmed in less than 24 hours for charity.
[/quote]
This always cracks me up.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_li_d_YviZ4

Edited by the boy