Why become a member? ×

Advice on fretless squire vm precision

spiltmilk_2000

Hi all, was browsing in a local shop today and spotted a squire fretless p bass. I've fancied trying my hand at fretless for a while but have never really been able to justify the cost and space for another bass that may not see a lot of use... Especially as I usually have a penchant for the more expensive models ;-). Anyway, what really grabbed my attention was a nice looking 3tsb / tort fretless bass at a VERY low price. On closer inspection the ticket said it was a part ex (explaining the price) but in immaculate condition, even with the protective film over the scratch plate and pick ups.

I had a little play and was really impressed with the feel and set up. A very shallow and comfortable neck and a super-lightweight body and flat wounds that felt brand new.

Anyways... Since returning home I can't get it out of my head. Am seriously considering picking it up tomorrow so thought I'd ask a litt advice here first seeing as I'm a fretless novice.

What is the general consensus on build quality of these models? Any issues or problems I should look out for? It almost seems too good value so I'm wondering what the catch is. Any advice greatly received.
Thanks all!

Ha! Cheers sprocket! That's my thought exactly. Keep thinking it seems so nice for the money but I've never shopped for or even played a fretless so have no point of reference... Have no idea what materials are available for fretboards etc. I know I won't be getting ebony at this price point though :-)

It's not the jaco Jazz. It's a sunburst p bass with a very cheap looking tort plate which was the only thing that looked really 'budget'. I did notice a few bits of slight string rash on the fretboard but I assume this is normal? I did wonder if it might have been strung with round wounds at some time which had left marks but I'm sure even flats will leave some minor marks.

Anyway, thanks for the advice :-)

I'm not enough of a connoisseur to give a reliable review. But, I tried one VM fretless jazz and thought it was absolutely the bees knees. To me (see disclaimer) there is a difference between the 'proper fenders' and even VM squires. But, the VMJ I tried felt absolutely perfect. I didn't like a VM fretless precision I tried nearly so much, that felt a bit cheaper.

A wise choice. It seems to fit in your bass family well. The cheap tort pickguard can always be replaced if you desire. I think you will grow to really like the tone well and enjoy playing the bass. Fretless is a different animal, and are very rewrading to play. Be sure to look at some of the fretless videos on youtube. Lots of good technique stuff you can pickup from there.
There is always a great debate overe what string type to play on a fretless. Some say rounds for the classic singing mwah sound, and others will tell you to use flats to save wear on the finger board (flats sound more "uprightish" and are less abrasive to the finger board). It really depends as to what style of music you play.I suggest using whatever string you prefer to play now. It is a good place to start. I prefer compressed woundround strings since they give you aspects of both rounds and flats.
Don't give up if it is difficult at first. stay with it and you will enjoy the results.
If you do go with rounds for the mwah sound, then in vest in a chorus pedal. They sound fantastic on a fretless bass. I wish you well in the world of fretlessing.

FG

Thanks for the advice fretlessguy!
You are right it's a very different instrument. After day 1 I'm already starting to identify technique issues contributing to poor intonation. If I play a b5 interval between finger 1 and 2 it goes really flat so I need to reconfigure my hand shape a little. Having to fight the urge to slide into every note too :-)
To be honest I'm really enjoying the flat wounds. Really lovely woolliness and they feel great under my fingers. Huge amount of work ahead though before it will begin to feel natural!

I had the Squier VMJ version a few years back, and it was perfectly playable, unfortunately with a prominent dead spot, G string, 7th or 8th fret , though this could happen to many basses. I eventually changed pups for Aaaron Armstrong customs.