Why become a member? ×

Fretting pressure

sprocketflup

Could you get away with using the jazz for all the non-fretless work or is the PJ essential, different tunings? Ultimately though you don't want a bass sitting round that you know is going to give you grief when called on so as others have said it's worth investigating making it more playable.

Edited by KevB

I probably [i]could[/i] Kev.....lol ;)

New Status strings arrived and last night I picked up the bass to go about re-stringing. Had a quick peek along the length of the board and discovered that its got a lot more relief than i thought, how i never spotted that i dont know.

Anyway, heres a thing - after Id released the tension of the strings, the neck went from excessive forward bow, right through straight and out the other side to a small degree of back bend. Ive never been shy about adjusting truss rods but Ive never seen one do that before, do you think maybe theres an issue with the neck?

I gave the truss rod a tweak last night, shall revisit the bass later and see whats occuring

"Well, twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska." I've restrung it (dropped all the saddles back to zero height and started again with the set up) and set it up again. It now sports a nice sensible amount of relief and a new set of Status flats and is already 100% easier to play .

Im astounded first of all that I hadn't noticed the neck bend situation, and secondly by how much of a difference just the little tweaks Ive done so far at your suggestion has made. Old dogs, new tricks and all that. I haven't even touched the nut yet. But I can see that further improvements could be made there, so may still attack that at some point. For now, I'm enjoying playing this thing again and for that I thank you all