Why become a member? ×

Strap locks for Hofner Violin bass?

Guinness21

I'm not a purist, and fit Dunlop Straploks on all my instruments (well, not the drums, obviously..! :facepalm: ), including my Hofner Verithin. If the 500/1 has ordinary buttons, they're an easy replacement, but if there's no neck button, it might be best to adopt the 'dog-leash' method, where the strap is wrapped around the neck joint, and so can never slip. The lower button can be a straplock, though. Some folks install a button (or Straplok...) in the heel, on the high 'E' side, which helps the 'hang' of the bass, apparently. Too many choices, eh..? :rolleyes:

The Dunlop screws are a bit longer than 'standard' button screws, so I always drill a pilot hole just to the full depth, to avoid any risk of splitting. Other than that, it's plain sailing (except one unlucky accidental purchase of [i]recessed [/i]Dunlops,not at all suitable for hollow-body instruments..!). No, it's very straightforward, and enables me to use any strap on any instrument with no faffing about. I don't jump about like Flea, but I've never had a strap failure since using these (decades, now... :blush: ).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

This is the 'official' Hofner method, as used by Sir Paul ...

[url="http://www.hofner-guitars.com/guitar-accessories/guitar-straps/vintage-bass-strap.html?___store=guitar_store_en&___from_store=guitar_store_de"]Hofner 'Official' strap ...[/url]

This would still be improved by a Straplok at the other end, I'd say but some rely solely on the 'dog leash' attachment, seen here ...

[url="http://www.pickofthericks.com/productimage.php?product_id=524&current_image=2"]Hofner 'Dog Leash' strap ...[/url]

Everyone has their own philosophy on the subject; for my part I settled for Dunlop yonks ago and that was that. I don't even give it thought any more, I simply fit 'em and it's done. I'm quite confident in my ability to deepen a screw hole, as I've done it so many times now, so... Your move may vary.