Why become a member? ×

SOLD SOLD Carved DB with gig bag, stand and bow
£500

72deluxe

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][u][b]NOW SOLD!!!!![/b][/u][/font]

I am selling my double bass as I bought it second hand the other year, hoping to improve my understanding of the bass, having played electric bass for decades. Sadly, being run over by a car the other year means my left shoulder HATES being lifted up, so whilst electric bass is fine, double bass is a real struggle for me.
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Further, it turns out I am really quite rubbish playing this and it is incredibly hard work for me. I have therefore decided to stick to electric bass and let someone else get enjoyment out of this.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Collection only from Droitwich, Worcestershire. Alternatively, I can drive a short way to meet (eg think Birmingham). This will only just fit into my Mk5 Golf, with the headstock ending up sitting between the front seats. Make sure you have a LARGE car if you want to drive around with this - it’s like having a giant fat friend.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I bought this secondhand from a friend's mum who had been playing in a small local orchestra. Sadly she could tell me NOTHING about the brand of the bass at all, and I have no idea either (hints welcome). The front and back are carved I think (so she said), and it cost £800 when she bought it. With depreciation I am looking for £500. Guidelines on pricing very welcome (via PM please) if you feel this is massively overpriced or underpriced.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The only problem with it is the tuning peg for the A string which has had its large flat paddle fall out of the peg. Hopefully the photos will explain this further! With a spot of soldering or glueing it'll stay in place, but for the moment I just make do with slotting it into the peg slot, tuning it, and then putting it into my pocket (kind of a safety feature so nobody steals it, surely?)[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The neck has some marks on it but I do not know if they are natural wood marks, or if they are blemishes from the woman having marked it for reference. They seem to correspond to the 2nd "fret" and 4th "fret" according to my ears.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]A cheap pickup is fitted to the bass (from eBay), which slots into the bridge slots. I could get a usable sound out of this but other veterans will likely get better sounds out of far better gear. I only used this bass on ONE gig, where we played a few Elvis and Everley Brothers songs (that I played badly).[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Gig bag included, as well as bow (that I only used once - it's insane) with one horse hair being broken (looks like Jimmy Page’s bow a bit), a stand (a custom one made of wood, pictured).[/font]

Edited by 72deluxe