Why become a member? ×

Using Peli case as bass case

goblin

Just a thought, has anyone done this?

I'm flying to America in just under two weeks and taking three basses with me. I'm not too fussed about the Yamaha and Corvette, they'll be okay in their Hiscoxs, but I'm a little more worried about flying with the Infinity. I know just how nicely instruments are treated by airlines.

I've been looking at flight cases, and the only one which seems like it'll possibly be up for the job is going to cost me £260, and it'll be a tight schedule to get it built - the standard Warwick case ain't up for the job.

Has anyone thought about using a Peli for flying a bass? I know photographers swear by them, and I can pick up a new 1720 rifle case with foam for less than the flight case will cost me, with TSA locks too.

Can anyone see any drawbacks?

I've always flown with Hiscoxes - they are designed to be flight cases after all! I usually put clothes in with the bass in strategic spots to make doubly sure that it can't move about inside. I'd be more worried about the case itself as it's designed to deform to absorb shock if it's abused, and that seems much more likely when flying in the US than in other parts of the world (never had trouble in Asia myself)!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1448308637' post='2914379']
Going through airport security with what looks like a gun case?
[/quote]
My bass got hauled up for this at Gatwick once.
I thought it had disappeared as it didn't appear either on the carousel or in the over-sized luggage.
Customs had it.
They thought it was a firearm.

Edited by Twigman