Why become a member? ×

aria sb 1000

loon

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1448482285' post='2915840']
There are two different spacings on the old models. The ones with dots only have very narrow string spacing. The bridge spacing is about as wide as the nut. I believe these were intended for the domestic Japanese market. The ones with ovals and eyes were export models and had spacing closer to Fender, but not quite as wide still. They've very playable all the same.
[/quote]

Sort of. The ones with the standard spacing/oval inlays are the SB-R/SB-Elite models, which all have passive electronics. I think these appeared a few years after the SB range was launched, and were sold alongside them. I have an SB-Elite I Black & Gold - incredibly playable bass but weighs a ton!

It's worth checking out [url="http://gfyfe.com/aria.htm"]Graeme Fyfe's SB pages[/url], lots of info about the different models.

J.

I used the Aria SB 400 mentioned here on the Aria website linked under *Rarities/Others* the owner Alain , mentioned on the site lived 3 doors down from my parents growing up and loaned me the bass as he was mainly a guitarist.

I Learnt to play on the thing did my first gig on the thing ... had no idea what good bass i had until when i was going of to university, I gave it back to him
i'd gotten my Thunderbird as i knew i couldnt take the SB out of london ..The Tbird also seemed cooler to the 18 year old me ... How wrong i was ... should have bought the damn thing off him > .<

Nothing has ever compared sound wise to that thuddy SB strung with a set of massive gauge flats from the 80's the
SB-400 was passive with a coil tap mini switch, volume and tone pots that were actually usable rather than " off off off > all the TONE

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1448445676' post='2915417']
The SB1000 reissues have generic hardware that's quite different to that used the Matsumoku originals - I wouldn't be surprised if they had more conventional string spacing.

[/quote]

I had a JT signature re-issue and can confirm that the re-issues do have wider spacing at the bridge.

Edited by darkandrew

thanks for your reply's. I decided to get an original 80's one. saw a couple of nice ones for 800 to 900 pound. one appeared on guitar guitar website with free delivery and a year to pay interest free so I just grabbed it. arrived today. I think im gonna spend a lot time playing it. does anybody use 40 to 100 on these basses.