Why become a member? ×

aria sb 1000

loon

ive been looking at an aria sb 1000 on ebay being sold by CHUYA ONLINE. its brand new and only £865. will have to pay a for it to be delivered from japan but overall it will still be cheap. the cheapest ive seen one in this country is £1900. does anyone know of a reason why its only £865.

Usually the 1980-84 models go for 700-900 range depending on the usual stuff - I think you've seen the reissue model on ebay which has been on for absolutely ages! About 2 years ago the reissue was also about 800 or so from one shop (forget which) so I've always looked at that one on ebay being crazily priced.

I had a 1984 which I sold, I believe, to clarky who goes on here, should never have sold it I still regret it!!

I said its NOT " actually 32 scale " ... but to me it feels like more slight instrument .. than say a fender type bass .

My bad ' lazy / rushed wording while sneaking post's in at work without spelling and grammar checks .

Dont get me wrong i love my SB even if it the poor man's version but to 6'5 of me it can feel a bit small compared to my Jazz , Tele bass or T bird

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='loon' timestamp='1448303150' post='2914310']
ive been looking at an aria sb 1000 on ebay being sold by CHUYA ONLINE. its brand new and only £865. will have to pay a for it to be delivered from japan but overall it will still be cheap. the cheapest ive seen one in this country is £1900. does anyone know of a reason why its only £865.
[/quote]

You'll also have to pay tax and duty on the price of the bass and the shipping costs. That can be approximately 25%. Therefore, you will likely finish paying around £1200-£1250 in total

It's really not good value.

And if you were to try to return it you will only recoup the £865.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1448406099' post='2915262']
The string spacing is quite a bit tighter than a Fender, isn't it?
[/quote]
Yes,probably less so at the nut end, but at the bridge it's very noticeable. Needs a more precise approach to right hand technique, but it does make the bass easier to play fast passages on than a Fender. If you like it, it's great. If you don't, it's probably horrible. Part of what gives the SB1000 its character. I love it, but I know at least a couple of really good players who just can't get on with it, so try before you buy is good advice. Try the one you're going to buy is even better advice! I wouldn't buy a bass I haven't played. Well, unless I could afford a new Wal................ :D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1448303697' post='2914315']
There's been a vintage SB1000 on sale on Cardiff Gumtree for £895.00 for a week or so:

[url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/aria-pro-ii-sb-1000-bass-guitar-vintage-stunning/1142706176"]https://www.gumtree....ning/1142706176[/url]
[/quote]

That is gorgeous. If you're going to spend big wedge on an SB1000, I'd take this (or one like it) over a new one any day.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1448447772' post='2915443']
That is gorgeous. If you're going to spend big wedge on an SB1000, I'd take this (or one like it) over a new one any day.
[/quote]

Lovely, looks in great condition. Very early one too, with bat-wing headstock & "The Aria Pro" branding. B)

J.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1448406099' post='2915262']
The string spacing is quite a bit tighter than a Fender, isn't it?
[/quote]

There are two different spacings on the old models. The ones with dots only have very narrow string spacing. The bridge spacing is about as wide as the nut. I believe these were intended for the domestic Japanese market. The ones with ovals and eyes were export models and had spacing closer to Fender, but not quite as wide still. They've very playable all the same.

Here's one for sale over here. Under half the price. I don't know much about these so I'm assuming it is what he says. You'd know more than me. Have attached his pics and if you want me to find out if it's still available, let me know. Insured postage to UK would probably be about 45€

Forgot the link so here it is.

[url="https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=1133737"]https://www.zikinf.c...annonce=1133737[/url]

Works out at about £390 at today's rate.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1448483253' post='2915855']
Ah yes, another thng about old SBs... it can be a challenge to find one with both coils of the original MB pickups in working condition, you'll find lots of replacements like that one or ones where it all goes silent when switched to series :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, I guess it all depends what is most important to the buyer, The feel and playability or retaining the original sound. Mind you, there are a couple more around the 900€ mark so still cheaper.