Why become a member? ×

Tone Hammer Treble Control.

jonnythenotes

I picked up a new Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 yesterday from PMT in Birmingham, and its great.......I think. Could some of you existing TH owners clarify one thing for me though..... How effective should the treble control be? It might seem like a daft question, but with the one I have, the treble seems to make virtually no difference to the sound whatever you do with it, whether used with all other controls set flat, or in conjunction with any of the other controls on the front panel. Some bass amps I have had change completely when the treble control is turned either way past flat, and others are far more subtle in ther effect, but having had no experience of this amp before, I don't know where the TH should sit within this, but surely there should be more of a change between max and min than something so small, you are not even sure if it has changed. I am wondering if it is only apparent at gigging volumes, but I find this unlikely.. I am not to worried, as it is new, and has a three year warranty, but its a disappointing start... As usual chaps, any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance...

I use a pair of Ashdown neo 4x8 cabs, which are really sensitive to higher frequencies. Also, I compared it with my Epifani PS 600 and Ampeg PF 500 set at the same volumes and frequency levels, and to my ears the two above mentioned work dramatically well, whereas the TH does nothing.... I thought that the treble may be more of an enhancer to work with the mid freq controls, but no matter where you set these, the treble has no effect, or if so, it is such a small amount I can't hear it..

I have the treble control between 1 and 2 o'clock on my TH500. You can definitely hear the difference from 12 o'clock, but it is a subtle difference.

This amp mainly sits right where I want it.. . . in the mid to low mid range. Sounds very good with my Bergs and Barefaced cabs.

In 2 years I didn't use the drive control, but recently I've been experimenting with it.

It isn't a zingey amp, for sure, but it is well thought out for what it is trying to do.

I always say that Aguilar have well and truly stolen Ampegs clothes so a vintagey vibe
is where it sits, IMO..........but I have a very lively sound and whilst not glassey
te TH sounds great to me

I don't use the drive either and would have the Treble on around 2-3...

On my Demeter, which I'm using instead now, the treble is around 12 and the presense nearly 3
just to get a reference

Here's a really useful link to understanding the ToneHammer and how the controls interact.....keep's me wanting to go back and try one again!!

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/sansamp-para-driver-vs-aguilar-tone-hammer.755083/#post-10678938