Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

[color=#800000][b][size=5]Voting has now started on November’s Composition Challenge![/size][/b][/color]

[size=5]Here's the inspiration for this month's music, chosen by our previous winner [b]JellyKnees[/b]…[/size]

[size=5]…and here are the compositions. Please vote for your top [u]THREE[/u] favourites:[/size]

[size=4][b]Dad3353[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/elegy-written-for-an-allergic-stump"]‘Elegy Written For An Allergic Stump’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]Che[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/if-an-old-tree-trunk-could-talk"]’An Old Tree Trunk Spoke to Me’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]Leonard Smalls[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/hooz-blooz"]‘Hooz Blooz’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]JellyKnees[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/jellyknees/wood-migrations"]‘Wood Migrations’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]lurksalot[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/jack-the-lad"]‘Jack The Lad’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]alibabu[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/alibabu/yawning"]‘Yawning’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]fingers211[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/nigel-jewell/die-geschichte-von-hildegarde-und-godomar-a-german-fairty-tale"]‘Die Geschichte von Hildegarde und Godomar’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]Bilbo[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/let-the-wood-speak-let-the-wood-sing"]‘Let The Wood Speak, Let The Wood Sing’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]Dapper Bandit[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/user-145360766/the-last-tree-cried-out"]‘The Last Tree Cried Out’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]the boy[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/theboysings/i-loved-her-since-we-were"]‘I Loved Her Since We Were Seeds’[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]Skol303[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/grimm"]‘Grimm’[/url][/size]

[b][color=#800000][size=5]Voting ends at midnight on Monday 30th November [/size][/color][/b]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448369626' post='2914778']For those interested, here's my 'Play Of The Day' topic for November ...[/quote]

Excellent, look forward to reading these [s]Mr Peel[/s] Doug.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1448371593' post='2914808']Tweeted :)[/quote]

Thanks Sylvia!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448496171' post='2915992']
Once again (at midnight, 25th...), the votes don't add up to a multiple of three..! Spooky..! :unsure:
[/quote]

Yup. Some people just don't oblige with the whole 'vote for three' thing.

Not so much 'spooky' as simply indicative of humankind's perpetual failing to read the small print.

We must keep calm and continue :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1448496535' post='2915994']... simply indicative of humankind's perpetual failing to read the small print....
[/quote]

What small print..? :rolleyes:

[size=8][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Please vote for your top [/font][/color][color=#ff0000][b][u]THREE[/u][/b][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] favourites.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

Once again (at midnight, 25th...), the votes don't add up to a multiple of three..! Spooky..! :unsure:
[/quote]
Although I have always used all of my three allowed votes, I am not sure I agree that everyone else should do so. When the three vote option was first introduced, it was because a lot of voters had a hard time picking one single entry as the best. But if a voter has a clear opinion that one entry (or even two entries) is/are better than the rest of the pack, why shouldn't (s)he be allowed to vote for one or two only? That limitation makes no sense to me, I even think allowing it is more fair.
On a side note, working in the software industry for more than 25 years, I have learned that anything that is possible in a user interface, the user will do, even if not intended:)

a.

Edited by alibabu

[quote name='alibabu' timestamp='1448520840' post='2916041']
Although I have always used all of my three allowed votes, I am not sure I agree that everyone else should do so. When the three vote option was first introduced, it was because a lot of voters had a hard time picking one single entry as the best. But if a voter has a clear opinion that one entry (or even two entries) is/are better than the rest of the pack, why shouldn't (s)he be allowed to vote for one or two only? That limitation makes no sense to me, I even think allowing it is more fair.
On a side note, working in the software industry for more than 25 years, I have learned that anything that is possible in a user interface, the user will do, even if not intended:)

a.
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

You're absolutely right, and far be it for me to suggest any obligation to vote at all, let alone to the maximum of three..! If, indeed, there are [i]not [/i]three that find favour with the listener, it would be normal to tick [i]only [/i]the boxes which inspire. I just find it curious (spooky, even..!) that there could be some folks unable to prefer [i]any [/i]of the remaining works, however bad they find them. No criticism implied, all are free to react as they wish; after all it's only a fun Challenge on a bass forum, not selection of a national government. No big deal... B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448522706' post='2916047']

...after all it's only a fun Challenge on a bass forum, not selection of a national government. No big deal... B)
[/quote]

Fun? [b]Fun!!?[/b] And now you tell me, after I spent thousands of [s]hours[/s] seconds of my life on this. Not to talk of the money transfers to Cayman Island bank accounts just to persuade a couple of voters. Hrrrmmmphhh.

[quote name='alibabu' timestamp='1448524422' post='2916055']
Fun? [b]Fun!!?[/b] And now you tell me, after I spent thousands of [s]hours[/s] seconds of my life on this. Not to talk of the money transfers to Cayman Island bank accounts just to persuade a couple of voters. Hrrrmmmphhh.
[/quote]

Apologies; I flubbed on the keyboard. Please read 'funding'. Your [s]payments[/s] gifts have not yet registered on our System (our couriers have to split the smaller denomination notes into manageable briefcases; this takes time...). No, you'll never get tthose seconds back. It may sound callous, but hard cheese, old son; hard cheese. The important is to participate, of course. :mellow:

[quote name='alibabu' timestamp='1448520840' post='2916041']

a.
[/quote]
Usually someone like me!

I've voted, I had a top 2 and then 3 more that I was torn between.

[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1448496535' post='2915994']
Yup. Some people just don't oblige with the whole 'vote for three' thing.

Not so much 'spooky' as simply indicative of humankind's perpetual failing to read the small print.

We must keep calm and continue :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448522706' post='2916047']

I just find it curious (spooky, even..!) that there could be some folks unable to prefer [i]any [/i]of the remaining works, however bad they find them.
[/quote]

Afternoon all. As a regular voter (missed one month, but otherwise always contribute to the voting, and often the thread and soundcloud comments).

Most months I usually have one outright winner and at least two others that I would be happy to vote for. This month there were only two tracks that I liked, and to do as Dad3353 suggests, and add a third vote for the remaining one I disliked least just wouldn't make sense to me at all.

Sorry if I've messed up the maths, and I'm sure next month I'll be cursing the fact that I'm going to have to whittle my votes down!

Keep up the great work,
Mike

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1448545552' post='2916315']
Afternoon all. As a regular voter (missed one month, but otherwise always contribute to the voting, and often the thread and soundcloud comments).

Most months I usually have one outright winner and at least two others that I would be happy to vote for. This month there were only two tracks that I liked, and to do as Dad3353 suggests, and add a third vote for the remaining one I disliked least just wouldn't make sense to me at all.

Sorry if I've messed up the maths, and I'm sure next month I'll be cursing the fact that I'm going to have to whittle my votes down!

Keep up the great work,
Mike
[/quote]

Aha..! Now the truth is revealed..! The responsible has been outed..! Fair game for coming forward; I can now cease turning the permutations over and over in a desperate and hopeless effort to reconcile the numbers. I'll allow myself the indulgence of some surprise that, from the offerings this month, only two came up to the level required; this only goes to show how our perceptions are so very different, and is no reflection on your good self.
The original thinking behind the '3 votes' was, if I recall correctly, to have a wider distribution such that most entrants had at least some recognition of their toil, thus encouraging motivation to continue to contribute, although, as stated above, and to paraphrase from a Jefferson Airplane song: "It's all for fun, you know...". Thanks for your support; long may it continue, and thanks, too, for the peace of mind your explanation has brought. Ah..! I shall sleep more soundly tonight, I'm sure. What a relief..!
([i]Puts away calculator, slide rule and logarithm tables, clears squared graph paper from desk and zips up pencil case. Wonders briefly with what to fill the void this leaves, decides that putting the kettle on would be a first step, potters off to execute this decision[/i]...)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448546939' post='2916333']
The original thinking behind the '3 votes' was, if I recall correctly, to have a wider distribution such that most entrants had at least some recognition of their toil, thus encouraging motivation to continue to contribute, although, as stated above,
[/quote]

And there's me thinking it was so that you and Bilbo had better chance of avoiding [i]nul points[/i] :o

(p.s. I have voted for both of you in the past)!

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1448548798' post='2916366']
And there's me thinking it was so that you and Bilbo had better chance of avoiding [i]nul points[/i] :o

(p.s. I have voted for both of you in the past)!
[/quote]

Well, that [i]did [/i]come into the equation just a little. :blush:

... and thanks then, on both our behalves. B) :D

Once done here, you may like to pop over to the November Photo Challenge, where several excellent pictures await your appreciation, and your vote. Here's a direct link ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/272413-november-2015-photo-comp-voting-time"]November Photo Challenge ...[/url]

This month's theme was ...

[b]Standing Out[/b]

Curious..? Pop over and see for yourself the different interpretations. Enjoy ...

Thanks in advance B)