Why become a member? ×

PMT Birmingham. Praise where it's due...

jonnythenotes

Ealier today I posted a request for help and advice in a thread titled Tone Hammer Treble Control.... Anyway I phoned PMT in B'ham, and a new one is already on its way to the shop with my name on it..... No mention of repairs, warranty claims, forms to fill in or sending it back to the States, just a 'we will call you in a day or two to do a straight swap.' I really did not expect a result that quick considering Aguilar are in New York.... Well done PMT, and in particular the bass guy called Jay. I will be singing your praises from now on, starting here on basschat. The whole thing from purchase to resolution has taken 18 hours. It just goes to show that even though they are a national set up, customer service is a very high priority with them..... Felling chuffed to the max....

Glad to hear the problem was resolved so quickly! Nothing as depressing as a disappointing new amp day!

I too wholeheartedly recommend pmt... My local one (East London) has a great team of knowledgable guys and I've not known them be beaten on price. They don't have a huge amount of high end bass stock but can usually get anything in for a try. I am in no way affiliated btw! ;-)

Great service :-) Id be surprised if it's coming from NY though. Aguilar are distributed by Barnes and Mullins here in the UK, which is where they'll probably be getting the replacement from, hence the quick turnaround. It's still great to know that kind of aftercare still exists and the companies that deserve a chance to have our money though :-)

I followed this thread over from your first. Glad to hear you're being well taken care of.

FWIW, the guys at Aguilar stand behind their products and are great people to deal with as well, but it's even better that you were able to sort it all locally.

I have used a TH500 for NYC gigs for several years, using all manner of house backline cabinets, and the treble control should indeed have an audible effect. Here's to your replacement being better behaved!

See, PMT in Cambridge are generally lacking in the customer services dept, so interesting to hear. I heard through ex staff the owner of PMT is a bit of a scumbag and treats the staff badly but how much of that is bitter ex staff, I dont know.

Glad you are all sorted!

Slightly off topic but PMT Brum do Aguilar stuff now? Only ever used to be Ashdown/Ampeg/Hartke gear, so never really bothered going in too much.
My office is like a 5 minute walk from there so might pop in more often if they do.

Hope it all gets sorted though! B)

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1448457458' post='2915566']
See, PMT in Cambridge are generally lacking in the customer services dept, so interesting to hear. I heard through ex staff the owner of PMT is a bit of a scumbag and treats the staff badly but how much of that is bitter ex staff, I dont know.

Glad you are all sorted!
[/quote]

I can't say i've found that at all. i've never had a negative experience there. I generally find the staff enthusiastic and helpful.
i had an amp from them that had a faulty socket and it was sorted rapidly. I also had them ringing around locating me a fender sandblasted which in the end came from europe.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1448457458' post='2915566']
See, PMT in Cambridge are generally lacking in the customer services dept,
[/quote]

Can't say that's been my experience. I've bought quite a frw bits n bobs from there, and they've always been very friendly and helpful.
Most recently I was after a Zoom G1on. The guy told me the price and, with no prompting from me, went away and looked up the cheapest online price and sold me it at that price.

No complaints here.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1448476831' post='2915780']
Can't say that's been my experience. I've bought quite a frw bits n bobs from there, and they've always been very friendly and helpful.
Most recently I was after a Zoom G1on. The guy told me the price and, with no prompting from me, went away and looked up the cheapest online price and sold me it at that price.

No complaints here.
[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1448469983' post='2915703']
I can't say i've found that at all. i've never had a negative experience there. I generally find the staff enthusiastic and helpful.
i had an amp from them that had a faulty socket and it was sorted rapidly. I also had them ringing around locating me a fender sandblasted which in the end came from europe.
[/quote]
Maybe i've just been unlucky with them then.
Realistically though, it is good to have some competition to Millers again, after DV shut down.
Apart from the likes of Thomann etc!

I regularly visit the Birmingham and Northampton branch and find customer service at both regularly excellent. I took my son to Brum a couple of years ago to spend his birthday money and the guys couldn't have done more for him. They let him try everything that caught his eye, even stuff that was way out of a 12 year olds budget, without any problem. We left with an Epiphone Les Paul and a Crafter acoustic and they won a customer for life - good on 'em,

I have used pmt Oxford, Northampton and Birmingham regularly. Oxford is a friendly shop although the smallest of the three. The other two are good also. I had to look after my nephew who lives in Birmingham for a day a few weeks back so we popped into pmt brum for a nose about. They let him play drums without batting an eyelid even when he wanted to try a £5k electric kit. I rarely buy basses or amps new so usually only pop in for smaller bits. Oxford and Northampton don't carry a wide selection of strings which is probably my only disappointment but it's hardly the end of the world.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1448831374' post='2918514']
Ive spent a fortune in pmt bham over the years. Great staff but still wish musical exchanges was still open (where most of the pmt staff worked) just for nostalgia :)
[/quote]

It's probably mainly just nostalgia but no other guitar shop has ever given me the same sense of excitement and wonderment I used to get walking into Musical Exchanges on a Saturday afternoon as a teenager.

It was just the epitome of how a guitar shop is supposed to look.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1449013769' post='2920181']
It's probably mainly just nostalgia but no other guitar shop has ever given me the same sense of excitement and wonderment I used to get walking into Musical Exchanges on a Saturday afternoon as a teenager.
It was just the epitome of how a guitar shop is supposed to look.
[/quote]

Curious, I googled and found this:

[url="http://planetbotch.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/memories-of-musical-exchanges.html"]http://planetbotch.b...-exchanges.html[/url]

Bought a few items from PMT, alway drop by for a browse if I'm in the area.