Why become a member? ×

Gig bags

Twigman

I have a Mono M80 gig bag.

I have to fly with it often.

I have been using a SKB ATA44 bass safe.
But ONLY just.

It takes a lot of effort to get the clasps closed on the bass case.
Last time I flew one of the clasps had forced itself open despite it being lockwired closed.
I've had TSA padlocks on both sides and had them come off and clasps open...I don't know if this is customes not being able to close it after inspection or whether the padlocks have just come off and the clasps open as they are at their operating limit.

Does anyone know of a high quality padded gig bag that actually fits into the SKB bass safe without it becoming a wrestling match?

Most high quality gig bags seem too long

from SKB website bass safe dimensions:
[b] Specifications[/b]
Interior Length
[right]48.50 in[/right]
[right]123.19 cm[/right] Exterior Length
[right]50.50 in[/right]
[right]128.27 cm[/right] Exterior Width
[right]20.25 in[/right]
[right]51.44 cm[/right] Exterior Depth
[right]7.25 in[/right]
[right]18.42 cm[/right] Instrument Body Length
[right]17.00 in[/right]
[right]43.18 cm[/right] Instrument Body Depth
[right]6.25 in[/right]
[right]15.88 cm[/right] Instrument Lower Bout
[right]16.75 in[/right]
[right]42.55 cm[/right] Instrument Upper Bout
[right]15.50 in[/right]
[right]39.37 cm[/right] Carton Width
[right]22.00 in[/right]
[right]55.88 cm[/right] Carton Depth
[right]8.75 in[/right]
[right]22.23 cm[/right] Shipping Weight
[right]17.80 lb[/right]
[right]8.07 kg[/right] Product Weight
[right]14.20 lb[/right]
[right]6.44 kg[/right]

IME the current range of high specification semi-rigid gig bags are all too big and too heavy and IIRC the Mono is one of the smallest and lightest (it certainly was when I bought mine).

TBH by the time you've paid out for one of these cases and a Bass Safe you might as well have bought a Hiscox Lite-Flite case which is only slightly heavier than most of the current crop of semi rigid cases and is actually smaller than many of them.

Thanks for the offer but too late...I'd already ordered a Protec Contego after seeing a review from late 14 that said it fits in an SKB bass safe....if it doesn't fit I needed a 2nd gig bag anyway....should be with me early next week...it's being Thomanned and is in Koln at the moment...

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1448464718' post='2915658']
TBH by the time you've paid out for one of these cases and a Bass Safe you might as well have bought a Hiscox Lite-Flite case which is only slightly heavier than most of the current crop of semi rigid cases and is actually smaller than many of them.
[/quote]
The advantage of the bass safe IMO is that it has wheels which helps enormously on the long walk from car to airport check-in and once at destination the hard shell can be left in the hotel and the bass carried around in the light gig bag.

besides I already have it and don't really want to see it wasted

Edited by Twigman

It fits neither the old type SKB bass safe with the sliding latches nor the new type with the TSA combo lock strap.

And that's with the SKB's foam removed.

Well that was a waste of money....

So back to the drawing board.

recommendations?

Edited by Twigman

As you've discovered the latest crop of semi-rigid gig bags are too big for the Bass Safe. To be fair it wasn't deigned to work with them.

If you are determined to use the Bass Safe then I suggest you get a normal medium priced Ritter gig bag, or similar, which is the kind of bag the Bass Safe is designed to accommodate and you'll have to live with the fact that your bass doesn't have quite as much protection when it is just in the gig bag.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1449673443' post='2925850']
Monos are great on planes. [b]Most[/b] airlines [b]should[/b] allow you to have them as hand luggage.
[/quote]

It's the [b]Most [/b]and [b]should[/b] which means my basses will always be going in the hold in a full flightcase... I wouldn't want it going under in a gigbag... even a mono :blink:

How does the M80 compare in size to the Vertigo? The Vertigo is an excellent case, best 'bag' I have come across.

Mono also do the Bass Sleeve which, whilst a little thin on protection, will certainly be one of if not the smallest bag you will find.

OK so what I've gone and done is bought a SKB iSeries case!!!!
At least it has wheels.
OK so I won't have either my Mono M80 or my Protec Contego at the destination but as the SKB has wheels that's not going to be too much of a problem - unless the local transport can't accommodate the SKB...

I now have more than enough casing options:
SKB iSeries
Custom ABS full flightcase
2 x SKB bass Safes
5star wooden hard case
Mono M80
Protec Contego