Why become a member? ×

New Cab Day :)

Naetharu

Hi folks,

My new GK MBE-410 arrived today and so I thought I would share it with you. It's the final bit of my rig that I was after ready for starting gigging with my band on the 3rd of December. While I have the chance I just want to say a big thank-you to everyone on these forums for having the time and patience to answer innumerable questions from me while I was collecting all this stuff together. I know for certain that I would not have been able to make anywhere near as clear decisions if it was not for you folks and I really appreciate just how welcoming and helpful you have been :)

And so here it is, the GK at the bottom of the pile there looking nice and cozy amid the rest of my kit.

[url="http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/naetharu/Gig%20Rig_zpslbqsr7zx.jpg"][/url]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1448388234' post='2915019']
Looking good. Where is the first gig then? :)
[/quote]

Playing the Colchester Soundhouse on the 3rd of December then McGintys in Ipswich on the 4th - really looking forward to it!

[url="http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/naetharu/Gig%20Poster_zpsjktcya61.jpg"][/url]

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1448389053' post='2915032']
Good luck, I was thinking it might have been the parts of Essex nearer to Herts, in which case I could have got along.
[/quote]

Ah that would have been fantastic. Alas we're down in south east Essex right on the water :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1448392595' post='2915083']
That is one compact 410! These are sealed, aren't they? How does it sound?
[/quote]

Aye, it is a sealed cab. It seems to sound pretty nice - alas so far I have only been able to use it at low volume given I am in a flat here. I'll be taking it to band practice tomorrow night so should have a chance to give it a good run in the wild there. From what I can tell so far I would say it sounds very tight and punchy compared to the MiBass 112 cab sat on top of it, and a lot clearer than the old blue ashdown speakers in my MAG-300

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1448392984' post='2915089']
Aye, it is a sealed cab. It seems to sound pretty nice - alas so far I have only been able to use it at low volume given I am in a flat here. I'll be taking it to band practice tomorrow night so should have a chance to give it a good run in the wild there. From what I can tell so far I would say it sounds very tight and punchy compared to the MiBass 112 cab sat on top of it, and a lot clearer than the old blue ashdown speakers in my MAG-300
[/quote]

I wonder how two of them would compare to an Ampeg fridge..? And I see the 800W, 4ohm version is also small, light and affordable... hmmm. Will be very interested to hear about how it fares at battle levels during your rehearsal. :) Nicely done.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1448393168' post='2915091']
I wonder how two of them would compare to an Ampeg fridge..? And I see the 800W, 4ohm version is also small, light and affordable... hmmm. Will be very interested to hear about how it fares at battle levels during your rehearsal. :) Nicely done.
[/quote]

I will have an SVT 810 in the practice room tomorrow so I can certainly A/B the two and report back if that's any help.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1448394364' post='2915115']
I will have an SVT 810 in the practice room tomorrow so I can certainly A/B the two and report back if that's any help.
[/quote]

That would be good, but I think two 410s would be the only fair comparison. Impractical, as you're short one 410. :D
But yes compare the two anyway by all means, it will be interesting.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1448398165' post='2915165']
That would be good, but I think two 410s would be the only fair comparison. Impractical, as you're short one 410. :D
But yes compare the two anyway by all means, it will be interesting.
[/quote]

If you want to sent me another 410 over free of charge I'll be more than happy to perform the experiment ;) - on a serious note though I will given them a go next to one another and see how they shape up. We'll probably have an Ampeg SVT-410HLF in there too which will make a bit more of a direct a/b I guess.

Well a quick report back after having a chance to use this in the wild and A/B it with an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. All in all I am very pleased with the cab. Its the first sealed cab I have used and it sounds fantastic. It was really punchy and clear even at silly volumes. I'm not well versed in technical terminology with these things but to my year it sounded very well defined. I was able to push the bass quite a bit to get a nice sort of vintage sound for one song we do with no issue. The sound was never muddy and the cab seemed to handle anything thrown at it with ease.

Compared with the Ampeg cab I was able to try I would say that the GK coloured the sound a little bit more. I found myself dialing back a little on my mids and pushing the bass up a little more than normal to get the same kind of sound. Very small amounts mind, but the voicing was certainly a little different. Our singer complimented the cab saying he could hear the bass better than he could using the Ampeg, however to my ears both sounded pretty good. Given the choice I still think the Ampeg is the winner if for no other reason than the better enclosure, more flexible attenuation on the horn and the wheels for added portability. However, I was surprised at how well this cab held up given the price discrepancy between the two.

We're going to do a quick bit of live recording next week so if we have the time I'll try and switch cabs for a song and post the tracks so you can hear the difference.

Very good. I like the sealed cab sound myself. But comparing it to an HLF is apples and oranges really as the HLF isn't sealed, it's ported. An Ampeg 810 is sealed, so two GK sealed 410s would be a more interesting comparison. But no, I'm not going to supply the second one. :lol: Bottom line is you like your 410 and that's what counts.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1448551992' post='2916402']
Very good. I like the sealed cab sound myself. But comparing it to an HLF is apples and oranges really as the HLF isn't sealed, it's ported. An Ampeg 810 is sealed, so two GK sealed 410s would be a more interesting comparison. But no, I'm not going to supply the second one. :lol: Bottom line is you like your 410 and that's what counts.
[/quote]

I'd not realised the hlf was ported! Ampeg snuck those in behind the grill it seems rather than the obvious porting on their portaflex cabs. Ah well, I live and learn :)

Edited by Naetharu