Why become a member? ×

OLP MM rewire

grumpyguts

I have added Wilkinson pickup to my OLP MM2.

It is working ok wired up to the front vol pot, the original OLP pickup is now just wired to the rear pot.

However, I am not happy with the quality of the OLP electrics.

Looking online I see a variety of Jazz Bass wiring kits sold by Warhorse Guitars.

Are these suitable replacements and what difference does it make between 250k and 500k?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

the general consensus for humbuckers is 500k pots, I had an olp for a while and did find the controls a bit confusing and the pots weren't of great quality, if it were mine I'd go for a simple vol/blend/tone setup, if you're wanting a ready made loom then get in touch with KiOgon on here and ask him for a quote, his work is second to none and is solderless fitting.

another option would be to add a preamp which would get you a bit closer to a proper stingray tone, the retrovibe stinger is probably the best budge option.

Matt

Perhaps "working ok" was a little incorrect. There seems to be a sweet spot with the tone and vol pots where the bass sounds as good as I hoped it would. However turning the vol to the max on one pup has an impact on the other and the sound and overall volume suffer, back off the volume and all is well.

Vol/Blend/Tone is the way to go - I am not that keen on separate vol per pickup, I was just thinking of an inexpensive off the shelf option.

The OLP humbucker is wired as two sets of single coils, one set of coils goes to one volume control and the other set to the other volume control. It's basically a Jazz bass setup with the two pickups next to one another.

By the sound of it what you have done is added a Jazz pickup to the original and wired it to the front set of coils? If so you've now still got a Jazz bass, but with a bit more distance between the pickups, hence the phase cancelling.

One way to fix it is to wire the original pickup as a humbucker, possibly with a series/parallel switch or push/pull pot, and then add a pre-amp to give you blend, volume and some EQ.

Thread here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/14009-pimp-mah-olp/page__p__147925__hl__pimp%20olp__fromsearch__1#entry147925 has someone putting an Artec SE-2A into one.

The original OLP pup has a black & white wires for each coil. I wired both white to one terminal of the rear vol pot and both black to the other terminal of the same pot. My logic being that now one vol pot controls both coils - presumably like a standard mm pickup.

This allowed the front vol pot to deal with the added Wilkinson mwm4 pup.

I had hoped this would be a simple trouble free solution - clearly not.

Blend / vol / tone would be lovely - but I don't yet know enough to sort this myself.

Pre-amp also very tempting but the off shelf solutions will be intended for a single pup not two.

It's just a project to fart around with so no great concern - with the mirror scratch plate and 2 pups the olp at least looks pretty good..

I possibly should have offered this earlier but I have a copy of the Musicman sabre preamp sitting in a drawer, setup with a blend and ready for a 2 pickup bass, it's very similar to the stingray pickup with the addition of a bright switch, it was made by one of the very clever chaps on here (tommorichards) I've never installed it, send me a PM if you're interested, i'll pass it on for what I paid for it, under 25 quid posted if I remember rightly.

Matt