Why become a member? ×

Problem with your Stingray electrics? Check the battery

Deedee

A cautionary tale.............

I bought a lovely used 2003 Stingray from this very forum recently. Once I'd got it home and plugged it in I realised that the output was very low. I took the battery out then back in again, then frantically and repeatedly gave the pots a good twist. Next thing, almighty crackling and bizarre buzzing noises.

Panic ensued....... My first thoughts were at best the pots needed changing and at worst, the 3 band eq was toast :-(

The following morning I tried the bass again with the same results. I messaged the seller and he was fantastic, instantly saying that if there was a problem I could return the bass. I was all set to take it in to my local repairer when the seller advised me to check the seating of the battery as he had replaced it the day before and that he had, in the past had a Stingray that did strange things when the battery wasn't seated/contacting correctly.

So armed with cotton buds and some contact cleaner, I removed the battery from its housing and gave the contacts in the housing a good old clean. Put the battery back in and hey presto, crystal clear full fat 3 band loveliness 😃

So the moral of the story is, if you have an issue with the electrics on your Stingray - check the battery first!

Had a pretty similar problem with my Status Dan, the old Duracells were on their way out so I put in some brand new M&S (yes I know....) alkalines. Sounded very low output (for an 18V circuit) and a bit distorted. Removed and refitted etc but no better....in the end, I don't know why but I check the height of the battery. Turned out the M&S were a good 1mm smaller than the Duracells and I wasn't getting a good contact. That taught me.