Why become a member? ×

Imagine...The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson

rubis

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1448413567' post='2915307']
it's worth wading through the pretentious rubbish for the good bits and the happiest of endings, liked his £100 bet with Norman that he'd be dead by Christmas, wonder if he paid up?
[/quote]
The pretentious rubbish became too much for me in the end and I gave it up. I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for arty farty nonsense. Maybe I'll try to find it on YT or something at some point and give it another go. [spoiler]WTF was the ridiculous headless chickens bit all about? Absolute bollocks.[/spoiler]

I stuck with it and enjoyed the Art house style interlaced clips, strange but thought provoking. I was not aware of his intellect and other interests. So wonder now if he had more to do with the input to what was to be an epitaph to him, If you are to die and someone wants to make a documentary about your exit, My guess is he wanted it to be a poetical statement about his inner self not just dismissed as "another old guitarist died today headline".

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1448457174' post='2915561']
The pretentious rubbish became too much for me in the end and I gave it up. I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for arty farty nonsense. Maybe I'll try to find it on YT or something at some point and give it another go. [spoiler]WTF was the ridiculous headless chickens bit all about? Absolute bollocks.[/spoiler]
[/quote]the 30 second advance button is worth it's weight in gold sometimes

In places it made Magical Mystery Tour look like an episode of Eastenders. Realy well done I reckon. Makes you wonder what goes on in his mind though. Getting a diagnosis of a terminal illness is weird and doesn't affect you the way you would expect.

Pretentious rubbish? I'm not so sure, there are english teachery bits but even I could forgive him those.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1448467409' post='2915687']
A very interesting documentary, but it unfortunately looked like it had been filmed by a first year art student and as a result it got annoying very quickly.
[/quote]

I agree, I have recorded it but I watched the first 10 minutes and found it annoying, I am just not into Julian Temple's directing

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1448458160' post='2915574']
I stuck with it and enjoyed the Art house style interlaced clips, strange but thought provoking. I was not aware of his intellect and other interests. So wonder now if he had more to do with the input to what was to be an epitaph to him, If you are to die and someone wants to make a documentary about your exit, My guess is he wanted it to be a poetical statement about his inner self not just dismissed as "another old guitarist died today headline".
[/quote]

Not had a chance to watch yet but from the descriptions it sounds very much like the style which Julien Temple used for Oil City too - lots of vintage clip intercutting and odd/arty backdrops for the otherwise talking head interviews. Wilko came out of that documentary looking quite the polymath too. So my very strong suspicion is that it's less Wilko trying to get Temple to make him look dead cool and clever in his obit, more Temple's style allied to Wilko's sideways view of life and general level of quirkiness... Unlike others really looking forward to it EVEN more now. I loved Oil City Confidential but I could see how Temple's direction could grate on some.

I had to give up after 10 minutes. I wanted to like it because I always liked wilko and find him an interesting bloke but it seemed a case of style over substance to me. I did record it tho and might try again at some point. It must have got better it surely can't have been like the first 10 minutes all way thru.

It was style over substance, I would have liked to have heard more of his last album etc, but this was about the man, A man dealing with the big C and how that knowledge and end date affects an individual, It was not a musical journey biog. Still Liked it could watch again.