Why become a member? ×

AliExpress - Opinions?

buelljack

Had a search through the forum for some thoughts on AliExpress.

Found this

[url="http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bass-Guitar-Newest-4-Strings-Gray-Thunderbird-Electric-Bass-High-Quality-OEM-Free-Shipping/32275208611.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.78.HXGypZ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_8"]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bass-Guitar-Newest-4-Strings-Gray-Thunderbird-Electric-Bass-High-Quality-OEM-Free-Shipping/32275208611.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.78.HXGypZ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_8[/url]

For some strange reason I want a NR Bird' in my guitar rack. Why? Well just 'cos

Has anyone used this site?

I sit awaiting Thomann building a NR shape, I really like their TB-70 I own

TY for any info, my intial thought is to stay well away, but who knows

My missus has bought plenty of (non-bass) things through Ali Express and while sometimes there are communication issues dealing with Chinese speakers (or readers) she's never had a problem. She's returned stuff too and got her money back with no problems. Although depending on the reason for return you may have to pay the postage. When she's returned stuff her postage has been refunded.

Hello,

My Wife and I have bought quite a lot of stuff from Ali Express and have had no problems at all. My Wife got jewellery stuff and I have bought 2 Chibson Les Pauls. The guitars were surprisingly good and played well. They are generally well set up and the finish on them is beautiful. The electrics on one were crap and the other was at least Epiphone level. I rewired both, 500 K pots and Iron Gear pups and they are great guitars and I have a genuine Gibson to compare them to. Message me if you have any specifics, more than willing to help.

I have nothing to add except I like the look of this one!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Custom-20-Vintage-Sunburst-Electric-Bass-Guitar-4-Strings-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-from-Chinese/2031320100.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.uu2NiJ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_8

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1448458371' post='2915577']
I have nothing to add except I like the look of this one!

[url="http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Custom-20-Vintage-Sunburst-Electric-Bass-Guitar-4-Strings-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-from-Chinese/2031320100.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.uu2NiJ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_8"]http://www.aliexpres...archweb201560_8[/url]
[/quote]

I know, the looks is great, but at £300 approx, I fear paying Epiphone prices for below Epiphone quality, just for a body shape

I ordered a bass from there. This one to be specific. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-Orange-Transparent-body-Acrylic-4-strings-electric-Bass-guitar-China-Glass-Guitar-Free-Shipping/32346816124.html

However, i asked to make some changes. Namely in that i wanted the body mahogny, with this red colour, and a matching headstock and no pickup routing. Took about 2 months to arrive. This is what i recieved:

Exactly what i ordered. As youd expect the hardware wasnt the best, nor the strings. But the fit and finish were top notch except the edge of the fretboard was too sharp an angle, so i rounded it off a bit. I also got some black tuners for it and new strings.

This is what it looks like now.

So basically. definitely worth the money for a decent foundation for a project.

I've read the reviews and online discussions of 'Chibsons' etc. What has struck me is that the description of the quality of the instrument is similar to what I read for cheaper branded instruments. E.g. for a Les Paul guitar, to a Harley Benton Les Paul. So, unless someone really wants the instrument to have the name "Gibson" on it in the slightly inaccurate font, then there isn't really an advantage that I can see to the Chibson, as the Chibsons are much more expensive.

In the case of Tommorichards' bass, I think that the custom side of it is a big plus. But again, the description is that the bass was fairly good quality but needed better hardware and strings. Which might again be what you might expect from some of the budget lines. But, I think that Tommorichards' example shows what can be done. I've read that others have had entirely custom guitars made by the Chinese factories for much less (but with less, but still reasonable, quality) than a custom builder in the UK would make one for. That's something that I'm surprised that more people don't do.

I want to be clear here, I don't think getting a bass custom made in a Chinese factory is an alternative to having a UK builder make one. These are entirely different markets working at entirely different price points and producing a product at a different level of quality.

EDIT: I should have looked at Tommorichards' link before posting. That really is quite different from what you had delivered. Very much a custom bass, with some vague similarities to the original. I like your bass a lot. The original looks ... well ....

EDIT: For this 8 string bass, won't it cause some sort of inbalance if te middle strings are being picked up by three pickups, but the outer strings are only being picked up by two or one pickup?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-String-Bass-Guitar/2000434195.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.105.PqDpJP&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_10

Edited by Annoying Twit

I agree with you twit, for basses like precisions and jazzes out there, theres many a decent budget line that definitely work. However, for more unusual basses, customisation etc, chibsons can be the way to go. A lot of the time its easier to talk via pictures of what you want, as i sent a guy a picture of the colour that i wanted the bass to be. But as there are different sellers, who use different factories, quality can vary. But id say they probably are along the line of harley benton.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1448899691' post='2918987']
I agree with you twit, for basses like precisions and jazzes out there, theres many a decent budget line that definitely work. However, for more unusual basses, customisation etc, chibsons can be the way to go. A lot of the time its easier to talk via pictures of what you want, as i sent a guy a picture of the colour that i wanted the bass to be. But as there are different sellers, who use different factories, quality can vary. But id say they probably are along the line of harley benton.
[/quote]

The more I look at your bass, the more I like it. It looks a bit like an Atlansia, except slightly more normal.

Someone on here bought a Chinese Fodera, though without the butterfly logo. Where is that thread... EDIT: Here it is: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261845-chinese-fodera-inspired-copy-finished-pics/page__hl__chinese%20fodera

Since I read this thread and went off to look through basses on Ali Express, I've been getting Ali Express adverts appearing on a lot of pages that I visit. But, the Ali Express ads aren't showing pictures of basses, but pictures of Chinese ladies wearing very skimpy underwear. I wonder how the advertising targetting algorithms came up with that.

Edited by Annoying Twit