Why become a member? ×

Accelerated learning

dlloyd

While tidying my office at home I found an old prospectus for the Guitar Institute and Basstech in London, now the Institute for Contemporary Music Performance. It's from the early-mid 1990s and, flicking through it, I was surprised to see a fairly detailed week by week breakdown of their syllabuses (syllabi?).

One element that intrigued me was the idea of "accelerated learning techniques". Both the intermediate guitar and bass courses start with this. It appears to be a concept borrowed from the Musicians Institute in Hollywood (where Alan Limbrick who founded the ICMP studied) and was developed by Howard Roberts.

This youtube clip explains it a little. The guy has a book he's selling, but the clip is useful.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Haxh7d54b0w[/media]

A lot of common sense, perhaps.

Edited by dlloyd

Guest bassman7755

I remember reading somewhere that the optimum study cycle for learning something is repeated cycles of 5 minutes study and 10-15 minutes break, with the "break" periods ideally being actively occupied by some activity that is as far removed from the study material as possible. I guess the trick would be to find 3 or 4 practice areas that are as diverse as possible and keep switching between them every 5 minutes.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1448878245' post='2918710']
I remember reading somewhere that the optimum study cycle for learning something is repeated cycles of 5 minutes study and 10-15 minutes break, with the "break" periods ideally being actively occupied by some activity that is as far removed from the study material as possible. I guess the trick would be to find 3 or 4 practice areas that are as diverse as possible and keep switching between them every 5 minutes.
[/quote]

Yep, that's pretty much how I do it.
It seems to get into long term memory quicker than aimlessly repeating things, however it has to be very cognitive.

Lots of information online about it if you search "spaced repetition" & "deliberate practice".