Why become a member? ×

Why should I buy an ACG?

The-Ox

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1448494826' post='2915981']
These look like the real deal!

What are your guys opinions on cataldo basses and how do they stack up?

www.cataldobasses.com/jaebird

I'm not throwing anyone's previous ACG feedback back in their face at all! I'm pretty set on the ACG :) Just wondering what your guys opinions were on the jaebird
[/quote]

That's an apples and oranges comparison you're asking for. ACG are entirely hand build with custom pickups, electronics and hardware... Cataldo look interesting for what they are but I'd lump them in with Limelight in that, to an extent, they're bitsas. Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that (I've considered a JAEbird, a Limelight and ACG in the recent past - the ACG won and the wait is getting tougher!) just not the same craft involved. Just my humble opinion...

I would agree with a lot of the above, Alan was (and still is) massively patient with me around specs when I commissioned my first ACG. Still my favourite bass ever, and will never be sold!

If you want to really try a load of ACG basses I heartily recommend the Moffat bass bash in March. There will be a bunch there to try, both Alan's stock plus the a goodly selection from owners who will bring instruments up for others to try. The choices are so extensive a few hours spent trying some basses out is well worth the time before you commit to a spec.

Also if it suits you I am based in Chorley (Lancashire) and you are most welcome to come and try my basses out. I will provide refreshments and conversation as required.

• Like 1

There was a few things that drew me towards buying an ACG. Originally I just fancied something different than my usual (Warwicks) and ended up getting one second hand which I absolutely loved. It just seemed to fit me perfectly sonically and visually. There was however an issue with the bass that the seller (who I wont name publicly) and Alan contacted me and spent the best part of 2-3 days helping me with the issue and getting my money back. He wasn't obliged to do this by any means which is something I found rather exceptional. So customer service was already second to none (and I wasn't even technically a customer at this point!).

I'm just basing this on my ACG. Sound wise I haven't ever played a bass this versatile. The filter preamps do have a bit of a learning curve but if you put in the time and learn how to use it you will be able to get just about whatever sound you need.

All of the ACG's I've played seem to balance perfectly and seem very comfortable to play as far as the body shape goes. Generally I prefer smaller bodies basses (hence why I've had so many Warwicks in the past).

The body shapes aren't always to peoples tastes which is fair enough but that's an individual thing for each person.

and finally...

...they're gorgeous to look at.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1448527259' post='2916072']
That's an apples and oranges comparison you're asking for. ACG are entirely hand build with custom pickups, electronics and hardware... Cataldo look interesting for what they are but I'd lump them in with Limelight in that, to an extent, they're bitsas. Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that (I've considered a JAEbird, a Limelight and ACG in the recent past - the ACG won and the wait is getting tougher!) just not the same craft involved. Just my humble opinion...
[/quote]

This is the real issue in my book.

There are custom builders who put instruments together from other manufacturers parts (nothing wrong with that as you say) and there are custom builders who create their own instruments, something different from instruments available elsewhere, by using their own pickups, preamps, body shapes, construction techniques etc... ACG (along with Wal, Gus et al.) fall frimly into the latter catagory... you will be getting an instrument that you cannot get from anyone else :)

Edited by CamdenRob

its basically this one

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0186ss-krell-e-type-4/

but I have an RFB Humbucker at the bridge and a PB Humbucker at the neck, and I'm also getting the EQ03 filter on there too! Then there'll be the coil switching option on the RFB from series to single to parallel

and to top it off, Luminlay blue dots on the fretboard :)

Good work, looks like I'm too late to the thread to add my 2p that I think they are the best basses I've ever owned. Granted neither of mine have the fancy preamps but they both do exactly what I wanted them to do and (IMO) look just as good as the more fancy ones:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1448910623' post='2919133']
I'd love to hear some decent demos of these beautiful basses.
[/quote]

I'm planning on doing an extensive demo when mine arrives. It might be a while but I'll post when it's done :-)

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1448915235' post='2919193']
What bass you getting? Would love to hear it!
[/quote]

Getting a Finn R Type Singlecut 5. 33" scale, Indian ebony fingerboard, black walnut body, maple veneer and a wenge top, with a matching wenge ramp/pick enclosure. ACG DFM 4K preamp and two FB pickups. Still in the build stages but I'll be getting stuff uploaded when I get the chance :-)

I have sound a sound sample from my ACG J Type equipped with single coil pickups and the SEQ preamp but no idea how to share it other than emailing it around. For some reason BC won't even let me share the link to the ACG website so you can see the bass. :(

Guest Jecklin

Hello Merton,

May I have some more info about the 4 string on the left.
Looks like the type of bass I'm a big sucker for :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1448750091' post='2917933']
Good work, looks like I'm too late to the thread to add my 2p that I think they are the best basses I've ever owned. Granted neither of mine have the fancy preamps but they both do exactly what I wanted them to do and (IMO) look just as good as the more fancy ones:

[/quote]

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1448931645' post='2919421']
Hello Merton,

May I have some more info about the 4 string on the left.
Looks like the type of bass I'm a big sucker for :)
[/quote]

Hey!

So basically I wanted a P bass but with a shorter scale, not a Fender body shape and with Alan's craftsmanship. So given how awesome my Finn 5 is I spoke to Alan about this and he made it come out 10x better than I could have hoped :) The spec is:

Finn DC
Swamp Ash body (2 piece)
Maple neck with acrylic impregnated maple fingerboard
Overwound PB pickup
Volume and passive tone only
32" scale

It's ace, plug in and play and off you go with a superb tone and very easy playing neck. Love it :)

Edited by Merton