Why become a member? ×

Why should I buy an ACG?

The-Ox

Taran and I have been having a long discussion about why somebody would want to buy an ACG - in fact it's probably cost me the sale of my Ritter Cora - but I'm a huge fan of my ACG. First reason I'd recommend them is that I've spoken to Alan at the LBGS a couple of times - he's always been polite and taken time to explain things without me feeling pressured to buy something. Customer satisfaction is very important to me.

I love the fact that they're all virtually unique and things of exceptional beauty. Alan uses great materials and timbers and I especially like the colour impregnated timbers. Also love the the asymmetrical neck profile which makes them [i]sooo[/i] easy to play.

Big fan of the filter pre-amp system which can be a pain to get used to, but once you have, gives you access to a fantastic range of tones.

Build quality is as good as anything else out there - even gear that's many times the price. I own a SC Harlot which looks like it should suffer with neck dive - not a chance - balance is spot on and it's really comfortable to play. I've taken it to the Herts Bass Bash a couple of times and had loads of positive feedback. As I said to Taran, the only possible change I might make to mine would be to have it headless but it would be sacrilege to do that to it now. Just means that if/when I sell the Ritter I have to resist not commissioning one.

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/ACG%20singlecut/morebasses029_zps93f680cb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/ACG%20singlecut/morebasses029_zps93f680cb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I highly recommend them and believe that they're very underestimated. If you haven't already tried one - you should.

I've currently got an ACG in the build stages and here are the reasons I would recommend buying one;

Cost - for a custom spec instrument, it's hard to argue with the ACG price sheet!).

Quality - based on the ACGs that I've played, I've struggled to find a UK (or other!) luthier that stands above Alan's work.

Build Control - I gave Alan quote specific details for my build. Scale length, tuning, wood types, ideal weight, electronics, string spacing and nothing was too much hassle for him (and nothing presented a challenge to the build that he couldn't overcome with first class knowledge!)

Communication - Email responses have been incredibly quick, well outside of 'working' hours at times and always great. Even before I gave Alan a penny, he had answered numerous questions and helped me to finalise a definitive idea of how the build would turn out.

Progress - Alan is just as quick at regularly sending progress photos and updates as he completes different stages of the build process. For me, it's as much fun waiting to see the latest development as it is to imagine the end product and Alan's updates are great for providing those moments!

Wood choices - I didn't choose anything too exotic (like the ART tops) but there's so much choice and when I mentioned the woods i would like, Alan had no trouble getting it and starting work on the bass.

Electronics - Unique and versatile filter preamps alongside a bigger range of pickups and preamp options means you will always be able to spec a bass that'll offer you the chance to have a great quality tone that matches your sound!

Body shapes - Some really original designs and some original twists on old classic shapes means there's something for everyone. I went for a Finn R Type SC and after LOTS of searching still haven't found any other bass that has a similar shape. For me, it's a fantastic thing to find a new aesthetic among basses these days and Alan has a really innovative (yet ergonomic!) take on how body shapes should be... The moth body shapes are a great example of that!

I think the only downside of getting an ACG would be having the confidence/knowledge to be able to spec a bass and know you'd be happy with the outcome. Alan can advise but I imagine because of the commitment it takes to order a bass you've never played, you'd have to happy knowing that what you write on a bit of paper is what you'll be happy with when you first get your hands on the bass.

thanks for the detailed breakdown!

Alan has put no foot wrong since I've been chatting to him today, a very helpful guy! I've heard great things about his quality and I can't really complain about the price. I think he can capture what I'm after using his filter system :)

I've owned [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0055-recurve-4-string/"]0055[/url], a custom Recurve which was a great bass. Solid, well balanced, not heavy and great sounding. I only got rid as I was after a specific bass. I now own [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/g-032u-uber-graft-j-type-4/"]Uber Graft Jazz 032U[/url] and it is a real do-all bass. I updated my preamp electronics to an East active/passive BTB with passive tone and the bass just sits so well in a band setting and even better when recording. Alan's basses have such an even sound across the bass, from the lowest to highest registers. The pickups respond well to both eq and when using effects. Mine is light, perfectly balanced and looks fantastic. The neck is one of the most playable with the flat board and asymetric carve. I also like that pretty much all of the parts are from the UK. The only thing I'd suggest is trying a few different models. The jazz type physically fits me better than the recurve did.

Edited by TPJ

I bought a Finn double cutaway 0117 on here a month or so ago. I'd been interested in the ACG hype but had never been able to try one. Personally I couldn't trust myself to make the leap of faith to commission a build before even laying hands on one. It's very well put together and feels quality, but for me the big thing is the sound. Mine has a two band East preamp and the purity and evenness of tone up and down the neck is noteworthy. Playability is very good but, then again, so are so many basses nowadays. That aspect didn't wow me but I'm still tweaking the setup.
Similarly I bought an Everson fretless to see what the fuss was about. Luckily Basschatter Joethebell is local to me so I was able to try it. Within 10 seconds I knew I had to have it and it's still the most thrilling bass I've ever owned. I didn't get that from the ACG but that's not to say others wouldn't. It's a mighty fine instrument though, however you look at it.

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1448484087' post='2915868']
Excellent feedback again thanks mate! I can't wait to try out the filter system, I'm getting mine upgraded to latest preamp with a coil switch on the RFB Humbucker, and blue luminlay LED lights on the frets. All coming to around £1,149 :)
[/quote]

That's nice!

Let me clarify, I have no intention of getting rid of the ACG, it's very, very, very good. It's easily one of the best basses I've ever bought. But if I'd ever commissioned a build I'd want it to fill me with joy every time I looked at it. If anything I'm urging caution and attempting to try other people's ACG's before you jump.

I would agree with that. I know a lot of passionate ACG fans, and have tried some. I then bought one of his ex demo ones, and it is a very good bass. Unfortunately for me the neck is quite big and for some reason I find it a bit slow, so my main bass is still the Ibanez. It is still a work of beauty though and it sounds wonderful (even though it is passive). Certainly if it had a narrower neck it would probably be my main bass.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1448461643' post='2915620']
.... the only possible change I might make to mine would be to have it headless but it would be sacrilege to do that to it now. Just means that if/when I sell the Ritter I have to resist not commissioning one.

[url="http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/ACG%20singlecut/morebasses029_zps93f680cb.jpg.html"][/url]

I highly recommend them and believe that they're very underestimated. If you haven't already tried one - you should.
[/quote] I think 2-3 times I almost bought that bass.... and then you come along teasing me by flashing photos of it.... :(

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1448487888' post='2915919']
I would agree with that. I know a lot of passionate ACG fans, and have tried some. I then bought one of his ex demo ones, and it is a very good bass. Unfortunately for me the neck is quite big and for some reason I find it a bit slow, so my main bass is still the Ibanez. It is still a work of beauty though and it sounds wonderful (even though it is passive). Certainly if it had a narrower neck it would probably be my main bass.
[/quote]

That particular bass was built in order to be sent out as a demo bass. As such the neck was made a bit more chunky because I anticipated it being sent out on a regular basis so it would encounter a fair number of different environments so I erred on the side of stability. I think I mentioned this to you when we were talking about it. Again as a custom builder there is a reasonable amount of variation in the necks I build. Some people ask for them to thin others chunky. Unless I have a specific remit I tend towards the slimmer neck but again it is an asymmentric neck so the feel of the neck is different from the usual suspects.

Its not as thick as my P bass, but thicker than my Jazz. However, it is a 5, so the neck is wider, and the neck is also offset, so it is thicker at the top than the bottom.
It is certainly more useable than a 5 string jazz.
The fingerboard is flat, as opposed to the fenders which is arched, which I think it makes it slower for me

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1448488426' post='2915926']
That particular bass was built in order to be sent out as a demo bass. As such the neck was made a bit more chunky because I anticipated it being sent out on a regular basis so it would encounter a fair number of different environments so I erred on the side of stability. I think I mentioned this to you when we were talking about it. Again as a custom builder there is a reasonable amount of variation in the necks I build. Some people ask for them to thin others chunky. Unless I have a specific remit I tend towards the slimmer neck but again it is an asymmentric neck so the feel of the neck is different from the usual suspects.
[/quote]

Oh yes, I knew about that before I got it, I am not complaining at all, it is a lovely bass, and the neck pickup is possibly the nicest pickup I have heard (although actually quite similar in depth to the MFD pickups on the G&L).
Certainly if I had commissioned one from new I would have gone for a thinner neck, but as I said that wasn't an option for me. Although if I had commissioned it, it wouldn't look much different.

It is the advantage of building from scratch and specifying what you would prefer, but as you mentioned that comes at a cost.
Just been discussing the flat finger board with another guy on TB he prefers the radius as well. I think it also relates to what you are used to. He comes from a more Fender vintage type back ground and misses not having the radius. Which is why I do offer a radius as a no cost option but only in the Custom and Uber Series..

Cheers
Alan

I honestly don't know what the radius affects. I am not that used to fender style radius, I find them too clubbish (well the P bass then), as I tend to come from ibanezes, which have much wider radius (300mm). I am not sure if that makes the difference or not, or if it is just the width of the neck. I like the offset neck, it makes good sense, I just find the neck slower for some reason.

These look like the real deal!

What are your guys opinions on cataldo basses and how do they stack up?

www.cataldobasses.com/jaebird

I'm not throwing anyone's previous ACG feedback back in their face at all! I'm pretty set on the ACG :) Just wondering what your guys opinions were on the jaebird