Why become a member? ×

Stagg BG400 - utterly fugly

chriswareham

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1448620660' post='2916865']
...... I have realised however that I have mixed some ill advised metaphors, and wouldn't recommend using a polished turd as kindling :o
[/quote]

And on this very point I wish I could remember the statistic about just how much worldwide energy is obtained by burning dried dung. From the wonder of wikipedia:
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]
The benefits of using dry animal dung include:[sup][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_animal_dung_fuel#cite_note-3"][3][/url][/sup][/font][/color][list]
[*]Cheaper than most modern fuels
[*]Efficient
[*]Alleviates local pressure on wood resources
[*]Readily available - short walking time required to collect fuel
[*]No cash outlays necessary for purchase (can be exchanged for other products)
[*]Less environmental pollution
[*]Safer disposal of animal dung
[*]Sustainable and renewable energy source
[/list]

The metaphor seems firmly based in fact and thus not ill advised :) OTOH, Stagg basses as kindling would be rather pricey. :mellow:

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1448813626' post='2918323']

[/quote]

I once played in a tribute band - the type involving pink guitars and a lead guitarist with large, 60s style spectacles (like Hiram K Hackenbacker's!!!!) - the guitarist turned up one gig with a whizzo music stand which clipped on to a Mike stand - great for small stages (or pubs) - by Stagg.

On pointing out to the owner that the same firm was advertised in my local Greggs as providing part of the ingredient for their chilli con carne he replied rather tersely:- 'no doubt - BUT IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COMPANY'!!! So there you go guys, you appear to have it completely wrong...... !!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1448819668' post='2918378']

I've seen worse.

In fact some of you are probably playing things that I see as worse ... so I apologise.
[/quote]

I went to a large retailer's shop on Friday and would have tried one of these out but couldn't find one.

However they had lots of other basses with funny things like offset contour bodies and four in line headstocks, none of which make any sense at all aesthetically ......... I think you're right et, many of us are probably playing far more ungainly devices than this!!

I still can't help thinking there's an element of looking down the nose at entry level basses in this thread though I may have completely the wrong end of the stick!!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1448823300' post='2918410']

I went to a large retailer's shop on Friday and would have tried one of these out but couldn't find one.

However they had lots of other basses with funny things like offset contour bodies and four in line headstocks, none of which make any sense at all aesthetically ......... I think you're right et, many of us are probably playing far more ungainly devices than this!!

I still can't help thinking there's an element of looking down the nose at entry level basses in this thread though I may have completely the wrong end of the stick!!!
[/quote]
I just think it is ugly. I also find the original Gibson and Alembics, that it is trying to emulate, ugly.

None of my basses are expensive ones. The only one I have had from new cost me £200. In my life I have owned six basses, and the total I paid for them comes to £920. My favourite one is a BC Rich Warlock (which would have been the most expensive when bought new, at about £600. I paid £250, so it is the most expensive bass I have bought.) the shape of which often makes people throw up in their mouth a little bit.