Why become a member? ×

EQ + Piezo Ideas

eubassix

Photos attached. Had this bass a while and, whilst it (now) plays really nicely (changed the strings in photos for Labella S/steps +set-up), I'd really like to re-incorporate the piezo bridge with the Delanos.
This is what I was thinking, with some thoughts from the builder (Karl Eckert). I'd also like to reduce the neck from 'P' to 'J'© but that's obviously a job for a luthier (and will also depend upon the depth of the t/rod):-

".... Electronics are currently Vol - Pan - Bass - Treble (active EQ), and the switch does nothing.
Not sure if the switch was orginally intended to opt between mag/piezo - that seems a bit odd to me, as it's generally better to offer a pan between the two (?).
Idea would be to re-instate the piezo but with a way of such a pan (mag/piezo) whilst maintaining (or extending) the current EQ (possibly with an added mid range).
Not sure how the switch might be(come) involved, or if better to use/extend this hole/rout to add another knob/pot' . If it's kept there, could be a simple on/off or active/passive switch?? (bass currently active only - no battery = no sound)...."

From Karl.E ....".[size=3]..The bass body wings are European Ash (heavier than the U.S. Ash, Swamp Ash) and has circular routed voids within each half under the Walnut.The through neck is made from European Maple and Khaya Mahogany with an Indian Rosewood face plate and Indian Rosewood finger board.
All of the pre amplifier was designed for the customer so that it could provide a 500Hz volume but was changed a number of times in a number of different ways. A blend control was fitted to mix the piezo pre amp with the coil pickups. All of the pre amplifier side of things became unnecessarily complex, so I would expect a sane person to have made the relevant changes to simplify the electronics since then…It doesn’t look like there’s a pre amp for the piezo or the separate 500hz eq pre amp. It was absolutely crammed in there. I would be most inclined to get hold of a couple of more discreet pre amps with flying leads to pots but there will always be an issue mixing the two signals unless there is a pre amp on the market that does both?
The bass had a great deal of sustain as a wooden instrument but might benefit from a pre-amp renovation.Hope this helps?........Karl.........."[/size]

[size=4]Looking for suggestions on what might be done/changed/added/combined to create a mag/EQ + Piezo (+tone) using the current 4-5 holes (assuming the switch-hole might be used for another pot/control). The piezo leads are all there/connected (to bridge) as shown in the cavity photos.I think there might be some basses out there which combine mag/piezo. Happy for ideas to be posted or PM'd.[/size]

Edited by eubassix

I use an East MPM-01 buffer ([url="http://www.east-uk.com/index.php/bass/piezo-magnetic-mixer/mpm-01.html"]http://www.east-uk.c...xer/mpm-01.html[/url]) to combine the mag and piezo in my ACG. The MPM-01 has two channels, piezo goes in one side and mag in the other. There are trim pots to balance the piezo/mag levels. Two separate buffered outputs then go to a blend knob and then into an East SPM-02 3-band preamp. The blend sweeping between piezo and mag works particularly well. Wide open and airy at the piezo end to focused and punchy at the mag end with all points in between. I've only got a single mag pup but I'm sure this setup could be adapted to work with dual mags.

Edited by ikay