Why become a member? ×

Help me identify this push/pull coil tap / tone pot

Sharkfinger

Got a yamaha bass in need of some TLC. This pot is broken (stuck in the 'up' position). Need to ID it so I can buy a replacement and make a hash out of replacing it.

More here:
[url="http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/sharkfinger/library/Pot"]http://s1074.photobu...ger/library/Pot[/url]

Edited by Sharkfinger

it certainly looks like a dpdt switch, the pot itself has a kilo ohm rating stamped on the side but I can't make it out, if you can read the letters on the side and tell us what they are then we should be able to point you to a suitable replacement,

Matt

Looks like a 300Kohm DPDT pot, made by ALPS.
I downloaded the clearest image from the link and adjusted the levels in Photoshop. It's clearly a 3 before the 00K, preceding that is an 'A' - so probably Audio Taper (Log)
I've seen these have been used on Yamaha Pacifica guitars too so it makes sense.

You could probably replace with a CTS 250k DPDT with little difference.

OR place a 750k resistor between the two outside lugs of a 500k pot - which will make it a 300k, but not sure how that will affect the taper.

if you want exactly the same, you could try contacting Yamaha direct.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1448630953' post='2916975']
Looks like a 300Kohm DPDT pot, made by ALPS.
I downloaded the clearest image from the link and adjusted the levels in Photoshop. It's clearly a 3 before the 00K, preceding that is an 'A' - so probably Audio Taper (Log)
I've seen these have been used on Yamaha Pacifica guitars too so it makes sense.

You could probably replace with a CTS 250k DPDT with little difference.

OR place a 750k resistor between the two outside lugs of a 500k pot - which will make it a 300k, but not sure how that will affect the taper.

if you want exactly the same, you could try contacting Yamaha direct.
[/quote]

Wow, that's dedication! Thanks brensabre79! I think I've actually got a CTS 250k DPDT (or something very similar). I doubt whether I or anyone else will ever hear the difference. That will save me (and my tech) scouring around trying to find a replacement.