Why become a member? ×

Shuker basses

Joebethell

Extremely well engineered. Jon makes basses that are built to last and are very stable. He also works to very high tolerances and isn't afraid to take on projects that are demanding. He sets the standard for other master craftsman. Every bit as well built as Sei basses (and Fodera for that matter).

I'm a huge fan - I've had several secondhand, and have two now, and possibly another in the pipeline. For my 50th last year, I decided to get a custom bass built, and I talked to a lot of luthiers, but there was only one choice for me. Superb luthiery from, as Kiwi says above, a master craftsman. He's a great bloke to deal with, too. He also works out of the least industrial industrial estate I've ever seen in the High Peak... :)

I picked-up a Shuker PJ second-hand and have nothing but praise for Jon's work - construction, finish, timbers, components and attention to detail are all superb. There's real thought in every aspect of the bass. Playability balance and ergonomics are amazing (1.45" nut and neck cloned directly from a Sadowsky Will Lee). I've had Seis, Alleva Coppolos, Fender CS and Masterbuilt,Sadowsky, Overwaters, Wals etc. and Jon's work is up there with all of them

Jon is an absolute gem in the world of luthiers. His attention to detail and sensitivity to the customer's needs is refreshing. I got my first Shuker back in 2005-ish and my two custom Shuker basses are still going strong. The necks are rock solid throughout the year, fretwork is exemplary and playability? Well Jon knows how to set up his instruments to the highest standards. My 7 string has the lowest action with no buzzes of pretty much any bass I've ever played. I asked Jon to go 'as low as you can' and boy did he deliver. I know his work is in demand so expect not to pick up your creation after a couple of weeks, but the wait is so worth it. I'm still regularly playing mine with a big smile.

My First was a JJB after trying JJs at a Stranglers sound check , If you want a great quality precision I would forget Fender & go for this model , built to work , quality is very high . My second is a 36" made to my spec Jon got it spot on , Jon has a real passion for what He does .

Edited by Kevin Dean