Why become a member? ×

OBT combo and BF Compact has any one tried it?

sbrag

I currently really like my set up of obt head into bf compact but I'd like something taller to help me hear and also less bulky for rehearsals and space in the house. My current thought is to change the head for an obt combo and just use this for home/rehearsals and pair it with the compact for gigging.

Has anyone tried this and do the 2 sound good together? My other thought is possibly a 2nd hand midgit but think this will cost more.

Cheers
Steve

Assuming you have a G1 or G2 Compact, I'd go for a used G1 or G2 Midget.

That way you have 3 rigs, small,medium and using both cabs - massive.

A G1/2 Midget can be bought now for £350, maybe a little cheaper if you wait for the right one.

EDIT. Plus your OBT combo speaker will run out of steam way before the Compact, thus being the limiting factor of the rig.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

Amp stand would be cheaper but it always sounds like I lose some tone when the cab isn't on the floor.

Thanks for the comment frank. You are right it's an early gen 2 compact and I've heard good things about the midgit compact combination.

This may sound stupid but what do you mean by "running out of steam".

Cheers
Steve

Edited by sbrag

The Super Compact actually pairs better with the old Compact than the old Midget does and better with the old Midget than the old Compact does (it's kind of halfway between the two in quite a lot of the characteristics). It's easier to hear when on the floor too because it has much better dispersion.

Well ignoring the advice to stick with bf Cabs I've just found a good deal on a b stock OBT combo and before I knew it I'd bought it! I'll update on how it sounds with the the compact when it gets here next week.