Why become a member? ×

A question about slap sound

Manwithvan

I use double-thumbing a lot, but now and again want to bounce off a low string, and there's a question I can't find an answer to anywhere.

On some basses a hard slap gives a percussive 'whump', and on others not. Why?

It's almost like the attack from a compressor, but a brief woody thud rather than a string tone.

All my basses are set up the same. Medium-low action, nearly straight neck. Fret buzz if you play hard.

Fender Jazz (maple neck), Sandberg California (rosewood neck) do it. The effect is more noticeable on the neck pickup.

Ibanez SR500, Yamaha BB1500A don't.

I have a vague theory about exposed pole pieces but it's not a very good one.

Any ideas, anyone?

Your thoughts about the pole pieces... string hitting it and that's where the thump comes from? I think I had this issue when I bought a P bass and the pickup was sitting a bit too high; though I was getting this on occasions just when playing finger style. When I got the gap to Fender specs the string no longer hit the pole pieces. The fact you get this more with the neck pickup too reinforces this possibility. Maybe try lowering the pickup a little?

An, interesting point. The Fender and Sandberg are both passive/active. The Yamaha and Ibanez are active only.

To back up the 'strings hitting pickup poles theory' my thumb tends to be just above the end of the fretboard, allowing some extra travel for the string.