Why become a member? ×

Hardiest gig t-shirt

sprocketflup

Inspired by own thread (ever the narcissist, I even think that songs about me) lets hear your entry for the longest lasting gig shirt competition.

My own effort is a long sleeve sweatshirt from the NOFX Soul Doubt tour, purchased fresh from their gig at the Princess Charlotte, Leicester one sweaty evening in 1992. Still hangs in my wardrobe though doesn't get worn so much these days if I'm honest.

So that's 23 years. Anyone beat that? A prize of the dust that my least hardiest gig t-shirt became to the winner.

Ill get a pic up when i get back

I've got loads in 'near mint' condition from the early 90 s, when I was a kid I used to buy a t-shirt at every gig I went to,wear them at that gig, then in most cases never again. There's a drawer full of them at my mum's house.

The one that got worn the most, and still gets worn occasionally is the Ramones shirt from the Birmingham Hummingbird leg of the Mondo Bizarro tour in, I think , 1992.

One of the best gigs ever.

Edited by Cato

My 1982 Asia T shirt is still with me, though I dont wear it anymore.
Got lots of t shirts from the mid/late 80's that I still wear.
My sister still has her Rush "Tour of the Hemispheres" t shirt.

Just remembered my 1982 Rush "Signals" T shirt is still going strong too, but I gave it to my sister because hers fell apart.

Edited by RhysP

I bought a Monsters of Rock tank sleeveless T shirt in 1990. I was just 16 at the time. The gig featured Metallica (black album tour), AC/DC. Queensryche, and others. I still wear the T shirt occasionally, and for years it served as base layer when I played rugby. I keep better care of it now :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1448621834' post='2916881']
I found a Charlotte and the harlot t shirt , covered in paint which I still use when painting the flat
[/quote]

Every man has a dedicated painting t shirt which usually lasts his entire life... mine is a Hull FC rugby shirt... no idea where it came from.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1448622384' post='2916887']
Every [color=#ff0000][b]real [/b][/color]man has a dedicated painting t shirt which usually lasts his entire life... mine is a Hull FC rugby shirt... no idea where it came from.
[/quote]

Fixed for you. ;)

Apart from bands I was in, I don't have any band T-shirts from before 2000. Not because they haven't survived, but because I never bought any.

When I first started going to gigs at the end of the 70s by the time I'd paid to get in I was lucky if I had enough money left over for a drink. I don't think band merchandise was ever on my radar - certainly not T-shits. If I did buy anything from the bands at the gigs I went to it was most likely to be a recording either on cassette or 7" vinyl depending on what was available.

Even now I've got less than 10 band T-shirts from gigs I've been to as a member of the audience.

No gig t-shirts unfortunately. I have a t-shirt from a visit to Boston in 1996 though which I wear almost every week and it hasn't worn out yet. I also have a pair of white jeans from 1987 which were way too big in the waist when I bought them. Unfortunately now, they fit perfectly...not that I wear them much any way.

A 1979 Crass T'shirt still with bondage strap rings (I know it's a 1979 as it is numbered 521984 or 5 years to 1984 as they used to number their shirts) It is framed and hanging on the wall nowadays as the material is really brittle, and I can just push my finger through it....I also still have 1979 Acme, Pistols T'shirts, Destroy and God Save the Queen but there really isn't much left of them now.

The next oldest would be a 1986 Animal Boy tour Ramones shirt,,,,arms cut off and shoe laces holding the sides together....boy was I fashionable back then!

I will post pictures if I am the winner of oldest T'shirt contest

I had a Saxon Wheels of Steel tour shirt that lasted for ever. Unfortunately, I was about 20 sizes smaller when I was able to sport it. Space saving meant that I finally had to submit to pressure and get rid of it :(

B.L.U.E.S etc T-shirt, 1991, from the now closed club on West Belmont, Chicago.
I was given a T for each of my family (5 of us) for playing bass on a couple of numbers.
As Mr. Burton said "Man, you don't play the blues for free. Pay the man. You'se guys give the pecker a T-shirt!"
Thanks again, Mr. Burton and for letting me play your bass.