Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Cases

Stroopy121

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448619243' post='2916845']
So. What are your needs..? Home storage..? Daily travel..? By car, bike, public transport..? Flying..? Fill in the gaps, please, for best advice. B)
[/quote]

irregular car travel. Shouldn't be taking too much punishment, just carting in and out of small venues. Nothing too rough, other than when I inevitably drop it something equally stupid!

xx

Most the places I play don't have room to store a hard case and that includes EB as well, where I will often take a padded gig bag rather than the hard case(s) I have for EB. A hard case for a DB is both heavy and cumbersome, the lighter polystyrene-type hear cases are over sized and need a spare room just for storage. I had one of these and sold it at a reduced price just to get rid of it and give my house some space back.

For me, it would definitely be a padded gig bag, unless I was regularly flying with it, then I would consider a hard case and spend a lot of money on a lighter harder bespoke case!

All of the above! Besides a hard case together with a DB is a very heavy combination and all but the youngest/hardiest players could handle it easily without running out of puff/knackering the back. As all of my gigs are now done via my estate car and my load in I'm happy to go for the simplest cover without too much padding, easy to get the bass in and out of and handles in the right place. You'd be surprised that there are some covers out there that don't come close to doing that.

If you're flying, you have to get yourself a carbonfibre hard/flight case.

Apart from that, I generally only use my padded Westbury gig bag, albeit it has wheels and twice the padding of their standard bag.

The semi-rigid hard foam cases are indeed over-sized and a pain to handle. I very rarely use mine nowadays, that said there are one or two gigs that sometimes pop up where it's handy. For example some London gigs where I know the venue has no steps/stairs, plenty of room for storage, but is also likely to be an evening with lots of hustle & bustle and lots of people about (where my bass is likely to be more susceptible to being knocked/moved and damaged).

At least 95% of domestic gigs I do though I just use my padded gig bag. I would highly recommend getting one with wheels though like my Westbury. Absolute lifesaver of an invention!

Another vote for the Christopher double bass bag from Thomann. I've had mine for four years, playing 60-80 gigs a year, including lugging it across muddy festival fields and it's still going strong. No rips, no broken zips no loose handles or straps. Quality bit of gear.

A bass will always be better protected in a hard case. However, when I had one for my first DB, the case was so huge and cumbersome. When I transported it in my last car, which was large-ish, I had no room for any other passengers! Whereas in the padded gigbag, I could safely transport the bass, along with amp, and 2 passengers.

I'd say unless you have a large car or van, get the best quality padded gigbag you can. I heard that Hindersine were good for the money
Though I couldn't get hold of one at the time. Everyone seemed to be out of stock. I got a slightly cheaper, less well padded gigbag
and it seemed to do the job, although I read that the padding was thicker on the Hindersine

Let us know what you opt for

I have the Hidersine one, can't compare it with anything else but if a more expensive one has a lot thicker padding then I don't want it as it would be too bulky. I've been using mine for about three years for gigs and rehearsals once or twice a week and it shows no signs of wear at all, I'm not too precious with it either, it's there to do a job so if it gets a bit abused then so be it.
I really can't fault it, not just great for the money but great full stop.

Edited by Maude