Why become a member? ×

Distortion pedal?

sunburstjazz1967

So do rock bassists! I hardly ever play bass without one.

The only pedal that will help you here is a volume pedal so you can turn the volume down with that to stop your amp distorting. But in all seriousness, what you're looking for is a more powerful amp and/or cabs.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1448673012' post='2917412']
That's a bit harsh just because I don't know what they do, I just plug my peavey amp in and turn the volume up to suit. Us folk players don't use or like distortion but I know rock guitarists do.
[/quote]

Humm, well ok - I just got the feeling something was a bit off with the manner of the question. Apologies if I got that wrong.

But for reference you'd use a distortion pedal to get that dirty distorted sound. Check out Muse for a good example of how it can be applied. Many of their tracks use distorted bass to great effect.

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1448702707' post='2917476']
That's actually not that uncommon. There are plenty of left handed players who learned to play upside down on unmodified right handed instruments.
[/quote]

I respect that, and I've amended my first post to better reflect my intended meaning. Cheers for picking me up on it Danny.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1448703623' post='2917486']
Adding a distortion pedal with the 'gain' knob turned right up and your amp running flat out will be perfect for folk. Sorted.
[/quote]

Jeff Lewis pulled that off pretty well with his (anti)folk song "If you shoot the head you kill the ghoul".