Why become a member? ×

Babicz Thunderbird bridge incoming...

NancyJohnson

• 5 months later...

Thinking of swapping mine out too but prefer the look of the Hipshot, plus it's cheaper. Also I hear stories about having to file down the flanges on the Babicz to get it to sit flush on the body when fitting it to an Epi TBird Classic Pro?

Just a quick answer...I like the bridges.

Installation was quick, adjustment - while a little quirky - is simple, I haven't had to adjust them since they've been on, they're easy under the palm and they look pretty nice.

Really don't want to be drawn about whether the basses sound different at all or whether sustain is better; it's so subjective and hey, I play in a punk band. They sound and ring just fine; superficially I think I just prefer them over the Hipshot from a visual aesthetic more than anything else.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1448923443' post='2919317']
Pics to follow.
P
[/quote]

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1463008009' post='3047855']
I wanna see the pics. Any chance of seeing the new bridge in situ?
[/quote]

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1463057730' post='3048163']
I'll need to get some uploaded...
[/quote]

How much blimmin' longer?!

:useless:

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1463305470' post='3050268']
Think they look better than the Hipshot
[/quote]

It's a decent solution, I think. The original three point is a monstrosity...my personal belief is that Gibson should just dump the three-point and either trial a revised two-part bridge system (like the Badbird) or just go with Babicz units, but for retrofitment, these are peachy.

*I will add in closing that the Hipshots are perfectly fine, they're great bridges, but these ones IMO are just better.
P

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1463306595' post='3050279']
They look great! Thanks for posting. Gonna get one when, less skint.

I hope they Will fit the Epi classic pro? Gonna do some research.
[/quote]

I just read a short thread on Talkbass. It looks like the bridge anchor fixing flanges on Epiphone Thunderbirds aren't flush to the guitar body like the Gibson. You'd need to pop out the anchors, drill the fixing holes a couple of mm deeper, countersink the body to accommodate the flange and re-fit the anchors with something to ensure they're solid (woodglue/sawdust mix). Really shouldn't be too much of a bother for someone with a drill-press.