Why become a member? ×

Deep Purple @ O2 3rd December

disgrace of bass

I am a massive fan of their early stuff. MkII was the lineup I favoured although I didn't ever see them live then. For my money Gillan's voice was the best of the bunch in the early 70s and 'Made In Japan' (the gold one) remains one of my favourite albums to this day. I saw them live for the first time on the 'Burn' tour - Coverdale and Hughes weren't so bad either but I always thought there was something magical about the chemistry of mkII.

Saw them again in the early Morse years by which time Gillan's voice was completely shot to pieces. They also, rather churlishly imo, left out all the stuff from the years when Gillan was absent. Having said that I think 'Ted The Mechanic' is a very strong song and Blackmore couldn't have touched that.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1448787995' post='2918059']
I am a massive fan of their early stuff. MkII was the lineup I favoured although I didn't ever see them live then. For my money Gillan's voice was the best of the bunch in the early 70s and 'Made In Japan' (the gold one) remains one of my favourite albums to this day. I saw them live for the first time on the 'Burn' tour - Coverdale and Hughes weren't so bad either but I always thought there was something magical about the chemistry of mkII.

Saw them again in the early Morse years by which time Gillan's voice was completely shot to pieces. They also, rather churlishly imo, left out all the stuff from the years when Gillan was absent. Having said that I think 'Ted The Mechanic' is a very strong song and Blackmore couldn't have touched that.
[/quote]My introduction to Purple was via Mk.II; Made in Japan, Machine Head, Who Do We Think We Are (quite underrated), but I only saw them on the Burn tour and they were blinding. Sadly it wasn't to last.

I've seen them several times over the past few years, and have countless live albums/bootlegs. Their current form is the best they've been for 15-20 years.
Gillan had a dodgy few years a while back with his vocals but he's sounding much better - he'll never manage Child In Time but can pull off Into The Fire with ease.
But there you go - DP, ever unfashionable ;)
BTW I'll be there on Thursday!

Thought the most recent album was actually a bit of an improvement on its predecessor but it's been out quite a while now so I'm not sure how much from it will be in current set list. Saw them at NIA in brum not long after it came out but that was back in 2013. Would probably go if they were playing anywhere closer to me. They have done a lot of touring over the last few years, it takes its toll.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1448787995' post='2918059']

[/quote]
Blackmore and Morse, both excellent guitarists, but very different in terms of style and tone. I have seen each of them perform with Purple and Morse for me has never got even close to emulating Blackmore in terms of composition and style within the context of Deep Purple. In his prime, Blackmore was the best in the business IMO, though it is well documented how unpredictable he is in terms of performance with Purple.
Watch this clip and see what a unique guy Blackmore was
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQW_DFADO6I"]https://www.youtube....h?v=IQW_DFADO6I[/url]

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1448814007' post='2918329']
I've seen them several times over the past few years, and have countless live albums/bootlegs. Their current form is the best they've been for 15-20 years.
Gillan had a dodgy few years a while back with his vocals but he's sounding much better - he'll never manage Child In Time but can pull off Into The Fire with ease.
But there you go - DP, ever unfashionable ;)
BTW I'll be there on Thursday!
[/quote]
Big Fan here and the last Purple gig I was at was about 15 years ago. They were absolutely shambolic on that night so glad to hear things are on the up :ph34r:

Quite envious of the BC'ers that saw the Mk.3 line-up.

I do like me a bit of DP - always had Ian Paice of the most under-rated drummers around.

Never have seen them - although too young (and not actually born!) until '74....so missed out in the sense I would have loved to have seen them '72-76. 'Come Taste The Band' is a masterpiece in my book!

I've always thought what a rare master-stroke the band underwent when the developed into Mk.3 - how many other bands could lose 2 key members, and then put out one of their strongest (it's probably my fave) albums? Glenn Hughes on his Fireglo Ricky? Immortal! :lol:

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1448903341' post='2919055']
I do like me a bit of DP - always had Ian Paice of the most under-rated drummers around.
[/quote]

Had a chat with him backstage after a DP gig in New Orleans in the mid 90's, very nice bloke.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1448903341' post='2919055']

- always had Ian Paice of the most under-rated drummers around.

[/quote]

I'd say that during the early 70s he wasn't under-rated at all. Most of my circle preferred him to Bonham (who I would personally say was over-rated). I can't say if history left him behind a bit as I always have and always will think of him as being top pin. For me Paice/Glover was the perfect powerhouse rhythm section.

Glad it was a good one. Just checked setlist fm and the set now isn't too far removed from when I saw them at the NIA and it was Oct 2013! so they are effectively still on the same tour as then, they certainly still put some mileage in for guys of their age.