Why become a member? ×

went to the OM night last night and ...

Geek99

a nice redhead said I "[i]sounded f&*(ing fantastic[/i]" - they don't get [s]many[/s] any loud precision basses there, I got roped in to play Johnny B Goode with an acoustic (but amped) guitarist and apart from a moment of memory loss in the second verse it went pretty well for something I've only ever heard on the radio. The host jumped in to play lead too.

nice tone apparently (but likley helped a bit by my Zoom B2 on the ampeg setting). Quietly pleased.

Give me a break - it's something he had written out already and I had just met the guy got the first time that night.
I've been there about eight times now and it's the first blues I've heard

I was feeling pretty good about this until now

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1448841034' post='2918589']
You can't beat a Zoom B2 as bit of an all rounder imo.
[/quote]
I really took it along for the tuner and as a sort of preamp but a high output pup in a p bass got their attention

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1448880484' post='2918728']
Give me a break - it's something he had written out already and I had just met the guy got the first time that night.
I've been there about eight times now and it's the first blues I've heard

I was feeling pretty good about this until now
[/quote]

Ignore the Elite and carry on with having fun and bringing pleasure to others; not a bad thing at all in current times, or any time, I'd say. There's still much to be wrung out of any and all 'standards', in whatever genre; they have become 'classics' in the same way as classical music. That's because they're popular, not because they're intellectually high faluting. Rock on, I say.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448880969' post='2918733']
Ignore the Elite and carry on with having fun and bringing pleasure to others; not a bad thing at all in current times, or any time, I'd say. There's still much to be wrung out of any and all 'standards', in whatever genre; they have become 'classics' in the same way as classical music. That's because they're popular, not because they're intellectually high faluting. Rock on, I say.
[/quote]

+1 (and anyway, JBG is Rock & Roll) B)

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1448882061' post='2918751']
what's the OM?
[/quote]

Open mic' not the Band Om which I had clicked on the thread expecting to hear about :D

Johnny B Goode is a great tune with great energy and folk love it so why shouldn't it be played? People sometimes forget that playing live is for the enjoyment of the people listening and the players. If the open mic night is in a place with a mixed audience and the people playing enjoy it then it's going to be a winner. Glad you enjoyed your night

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1448900116' post='2918999']
I too wondered what OM was. I figured it out after the first post.

The couple I've been to seem to just be singer/songwriter type things, with singer/songwriters playing acoustic guitar singing about the usual.
[/quote]

Yeah thats been my experience as well, a succession of leftie intellectuals with acoustics, whinging about something or other over a few open chords... nights where people get up and play together seem to be advertised as "jam nights" around here.

Edited by CamdenRob

That's great to hear. Open mic nights can be a lot of fun, and a great way to meet other musicians and play with them.
My band hosted a few and they could either be empty or oversubscribed, or in between. Although we did once have an MP turn up and sing a few songs with us.
And Johnny B Goode is a fun song.
Cheers
Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1448900116' post='2918999']
I too wondered what OM was. I figured it out after the first post.

The couple I've been to seem to just be singer/songwriter type things, with singer/songwriters playing acoustic guitar singing about the usual.
[/quote]
That's about right where I go - I take my bass as I like to shake things up

Thanks for the support folks - the school crossing guy asked if it was me - I hadn't spotted him in the audience
He was most complimentary

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1448918254' post='2919239']
Which OM was it, if you don't mind saying?
I think we are fairly close to each other geographically.
[/quote]
All saints church in Huthwaite - I can hook you in if you want

It's fairly social - not too clique-y

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1448918270' post='2919240']
Thinking of trying suspicious minds as the host did that song on Friday nights OM with one of his students
[/quote]

Used to do that with a previous band, used to enjoy playing it but could never quite get the Jerry Scheff stuff in at the end ;) Glad you had a good time and so did the audience, that's what open mics (and all gigs) should be about.