Why become a member? ×

Moogerfooger lpf noise

andybassdoyle

Love my lpf. It's not quite as wet and squidgy as some filters but the sweeps are amazing and it has character that others don't.

I do find it a bit noisy though. Even using an offical Moog psu it generates a hiss and very high pitched noise. Nothing that's a big deal on a gig but it would be nice to eliminate it. Other 'foogers I've used don't seem to have the problem and I suspect it is something to do with the inherent nature of the pedal itself.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and can suggest anything or give a bit more insight?

Thanks all!

Abd

Totally normal. The hiss is always there. If you have the drive cranked it gets louder.

The high pitched noise is common with this style of analogue gear. I experienced it with the FreqBox as well. Basically the pedal is revealing the noise floor... I found that this changed with power location, so go power up in a different house/building and you won't hear. Do it somewhere else and it will sound louder. More noticeable if you have other pedals in the chain as well.

It's all character :)

[quote name='andybassdoyle' timestamp='1448825632' post='2918436']
Cheers matey, that was my feeling but good to hear it too. Way worth a bit of noise. ..
How's the xeno?
[/quote]

Xero. Why does everyone call it the Xeno? Did I miss something? Ha. It's cool, flavoured totally differently to the Moog. If you like big synthy warmth then the Moog is your winner.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1448827551' post='2918460']
I took the wooden panels off the sides, covered the inside with sticky backed copper foil (putting enough on to go around the lip) & then put them back on. Cut a lot of the noise down by doing so too.
[/quote]

I did this with a couple of my foogers, but I have to say, I found absolutely no change at all with regards to general noise.