Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Les Paul bass restoration

Skodadad

Hi all, I was advised to post in here. I'm a guitar player here used to restoring and modifying teles and strats. Just came by a rather odd looking Ibanez that's been exposed to damp and suffered as a result. It's a copy of a Gibson triumph but I guess you guys will know more about it than me. The finish was damaged on the rear and sides and I have removed most of it sadly. Didn't want to but it was beyond repair. The pots were shot but the switches seem fine and the pickups are working. I will need to get p type saddles (2 string per saddle types) and possibly a new bridge plate fabricated due to rust . fortunately the neck, truss rod and frets are fine with just cleanup needed. If anyone has any saddles I'd be interested or if anyone has any info about the original finish of this model. I want to keep costs down if possible as only restoring with a view to trading it for a guitar later. Thanks

Edited by Skodadad

Hi. A shame about the damage & deterioration, these basses (especially with the Ibanez brand) are pretty rare and surprisingly collectable these days.

I'd suggest the [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php"]Ibanez Collectors forum[/url] as a source of detailed info & potentially for spares too. There's also some relevant FB groups, like the [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/55074615631/"]Vintage Japanese Guitars Fanclub[/url], and the [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/ibanezvintageguitars/"]Vintage Ibanez group[/url] - if they can't help with your restoration, they'll at least be interested in seeing the bass!

It occurs to me that if you can't refurbish & re-use the original bridge parts, then replacement might be costly & problematic. I'm not 100% sure but I suspect the string spacing on your bass will be a fair bit narrower than a Precision, meaning using Fender saddles may not work. The bridge on the Ibanez isn't, as far as I know, a straight copy of a specific Gibson bridge, and there aren't any direct replacements currently available, apart from the rather expensive and not-exactly vintage-looking Hipshot Supertone. Also whether a replacement designed for a Gibson would fit the mountings, I don't know. Hopefully someone on one of the MIJ-related groups/boards bight be able to help.

Anyway, as a bit of an MIJ anorak, I can tell you a bit about what you have. It's an [url="http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1971/15.jpg"]Ibanez 2373B[/url], and the model first appears in a 1971 catalogue. It's cosmetically a pretty close copy of the late 60s Les Paul bass, as opposed to the later & more ornate Triumph. Yours has an open-book headstock which indicates it's pre '76, which was when Ibanez (and most other Japanese brands) stopped using that design. If it's a mid '75-ish bass, it may have a serial number on the neckplate which will give you a manufacturing date. If not, most early Ibanez have Maxon pickups, which often have a date-decodeable serial number inked on the back.

Ibanez from this period were made by Fujigen Gakki, who also built the same guitars for brands like Antoria & CSL - both of which are much more common in the UK than Ibanez.

Hope this is of interest, (if not exactly much help!), do let us know how it goes

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

That's all brilliant and very useful info thanks. Mine does have maxon pickups I have managed to clean up and lacquer the bridge today. It's not perfect but it's a start. I also managed to get 3 grub screws out of the saddles with heat an penetrating fluid but sadly snapped the last one leaving nothing to grip. I also rewired the electrics and it's working to a point but without strings or a nut I had to resort to using an acoustic string and les Paul nut :) not ideal really. I could really do with a wiring diagram as I'd like to renew all the wiring and pots, I used a couple of 500k ones and a used 250k to test. Parts needed now are pots, 1 saddle, Jack plate, nut and some strings and then the rest us refinishing. I have refinished quite a few guitars but all in dye, oil, wax or paint. I think this may have been shellac but can't find out for sure. Anyway here is some progress so far:

Sorry Sko

I had a senior/too much red moment last night....anyroadup, I should have said, " I wonder if BRONCO saddles would do the job"

So, suitably rested (and more sober) heres the saddle dimensions for a Squier Bronco, 2 strings per saddle like your Ibby...

Total width of each saddle is 35mm

Diameter 9mm

String spacing 17mm

If any use heres where I got it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-Chrome-Bronco-Bass-2-Saddle-Bridge-005-5410-000-/331682545511?

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to say I got the bridge cover from the US yesterday and it fits! Lines up perfectly with the original holes in the body and really improves the look. I got a Looper for my guitars recently and have a feeling I will be learning bass now :/ the bridge is if with an engineer friend who will try and remove the grub screw. Failing that will machine me some new saddles. He is also going to either clean up and Rechrome the bridge or make a new bridge plate. I don't suppose anyone knows what the original finish is? I am going to refinish the whole thing.

Edited by Skodadad