Why become a member? ×

Does anyone set their amp up facing themselves?

NJE

My current band always have big PA support so I don't rely on my bass amp as backline at all, in fact its usually low to reduce noise on stage and bleed through microphones. Even when I do crank it a bit I am usually close to front of the stage (I do vocals) and can't really hear it above what is pumping through front of house.

I am starting to wonder if there is really any point having my two Aguilar DB112 cabs on stage, and whether I should get rid of them and buy a monitor wedge dedicated for my bass amp and point it at me with my vocal monitor, or simpler still just keep one cab and have it angled at me at the side of the stage maybe?

Just wondering if anyone else out there has their bass amp pointing at them front of stage or whether you just use PA? If you have a 'monitor' style cab, what do you use? Just worth noting that we don't, and have no intention of using in ear monitors at this stage, although it would a be a good solution.

Interested to hear what other people are doing if they are in a similar situation?

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1448813552' post='2918322']
...simpler still just keep one cab and have it angled at me at the side of the stage maybe?[/quote] If you're always at the side of the stage that's your best bet, and it leaves you with the option for using both cabs in a standard back-line configuration should the need arise.

I am usually left of stage in front of keys, so I could have my cab angled at me side on and put it in front of the keys player. I was just surprised when I started looking around that there weren't many options for angled bass cabs. I know Eden used to make one and a few companies do kick back combos, but its obviously not something many people need.

I am going to try a amp stand/tilt frame and see if that works for now before I do anything drastic and sell my Aguilars.

I had a similar issue and I initially looked at a powered wedge monitor and then speaker stands, but the footprint of the angled cab option(s) put me off - through chance I tried some Phil Jones stuff and after some research I waited around for a pre owned flight case combo - it has upward firing speakers, I now run this with a combination of one or two powered cabs.

This setup takes up very little floor space and works well.

In my regular gig I've been messing around with cab placement these last few shows. I've found if I have the bass cab (a 212 cab) off to my right pointing across the stage so the sound is coming across to me and the drummer - we can both hear things pretty well. We have PA support so I'm not needing the amp to fill the room. Also it means I'm not standing right in front of the cab plus having the little bit of distance means I'm actually hearing the bass better. It also doubles as a stand for the desk which is useful!

I've tried having the cab in front of the drummer kinda in front of the kick and hi hats and again angled towards me but the above placement is better in terms of fitting on the 'stage' area and for us hearing the bass.

This will be the preferred set up at gigs where we have the space to do so and where we have PA support as the whole band feels its a good compromise for on stage volume, hearing the bass and practicality.