Why become a member? ×

Bridge Advice

timmchale2009

Just bought a corking MIJ P Bass... I am now wanting to do some minor upgrades. One of these being the bridge. I however want to put the bridge and pickup covers on, personal preference. A Badass is like to poke out and I think a hi-mass will be too thick to take the cover. I've seen a Gotoh 203 and that looks a likely candidate, however it seems a little bit longer than a stock bridge. Has anyone got any suggestions or am I wise to stick with BBOT?

Cheers

Tim

I went through a period of swapping bridges on my Precisions and tried most of those available. I came to the conclusion that none made enough of a difference to the sound or sustain to warrant doing. Other more tangible benefits are extra adjustability, hand comfort if you rest on the bridge or just the looks. But as you are putting on a bridge cover you may as well keep the BBOT anyway - it works perfectly well.

I remember reading a thread about changing bridges on P basses some years ago. The general consensus seemed to be that BBOT was absolutely fine and all the Badasses, etc didn't make a blind bit of difference. So, if you want covers, stick with Leo's original design for that type of P.

If I was putting the bridge cover on then I would keep the BBOT.

If I wasn't putting the bridge cover on then I would still keep the BBOT.

Anyway, keep everything until you have played it for a while, including gigs.

Maybe it won't need any minor upgrades.

It's a Precision Bass, it's basic but it works - others may tell you a different story.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1448819321' post='2918372']
If you want to change the bridge I have a Gotoh 201 under a bridge cover on my JV P.

I changed the bridge because the saddles kept slipping sideways and the string alignment went all over the shop.
[/quote]

So is your bridge cover like a P Bass bridge cover or the Jazz Bass style?