Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Marshall AVT20X guitar combo amp [modded]
£80

This has been my handy jam guitar amp for a while, but I am after a Princeton Reverb (a very different beast!) so this has to go to make room.

First off it is not the ordinary AVT20, it is the Tribute version, with different face plate and basket-weave grille cloth. I don't know what it's a tribute [i]to[/i], but there you go...

The amp is simple to use, with Gain (switchable between Clean and Overdrive modes), Volume, 3-band EQ (classic Marshall passive tone stack), and Reverb. Outputs include speaker-emulated DI and headphones.

The combo is fitted with a 30W 10in Celestion speaker.

I have improved the amp with a few simple mods:

[b](1) Replaced reverb tank[/b]
Yes this amp has a proper spring reverb. Unfortunately the cheapo OEM unit was dead when I got the amp, so I fitted a nice Accutronics unit (see pic below).

[b](2) Changed pre-amp valve[/b]
Like many amps of this kind, there is way too much gain baked into the circuit. I reduced this by replacing the Marshall-badged 12AX7 (ECC83) valve with a quality JJ 12AT7 (ECC81).

[b](3) Removed clipping diodes[/b]
These work like a built-in distortion pedal. I removed them, and balanced the Clean and Overdrive modes by snipping resistor R19. You can now get genuine valve crunch at the top of the Gain range in Clean mode, and the Overdrive mode has a much more usable range.

[b](4) Conversion to open-back speaker cab[/b]
I removed the back panel and fitted a 4in baffle at the bottom of the cab. The result is an airier sound with better spread. I can include both panels if you wish.

The amp is in good condition. There is a bit of 'soiling' but no tears in the tolex, and all the electronics work properly.

I am looking for [size=5][b]£80[/b][/size] collected, or possible meet-up if not too far.

No trades thanks, unless you have a Princeton Reverb you want to offload!

Edited by JapanAxe