Why become a member? ×

Barefaced compact G2 & G3 together

colleya

So last night I finally got to gig my new G3 compact with my G2. I've never had any lack of volume with the G2 but always gigged it with a hydrive 1x12 for extra 'width' to the sound.

However, the two barefaced cabs together was a step up again. Fat, clear and great dispersion with the added bonus of the g3 at ear height sounded fantastic. Can't wait until the new speaker has properly broken in either, it can only get better.

For the record, the whole rig was limelight jazz with neck pup full and bridge on about 30%, tone slightly rolled off. Tonehammer 500 set almost flat, slight low mid boost and the two BF cabs. No video unfortunately (hopefully get some at next week's gig in Altrincham) but I did manage a quick phone pic.
[URL=http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/colleya/media/Jump%20the%20Shark/IMG_20151128_211329_zpsqjsnk4w8.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/colleya/Jump%20the%20Shark/IMG_20151128_211329_zpsqjsnk4w8.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by colleya

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1448819713' post='2918380']
Wow. Having heard a G3 Compact recently I can have a good guess at how that rig must sound. :)
However, my OCD wouldn't allow two different cab widths in my rig! :lol:
[/quote]

On it's own the G3 sounds (to me) tighter than the g2 but it doesn't move as much air. Together they have great presence without needing to crank it.

The bank balance trumped the width ocd on this occasion though! :)

I think the new G3 speaker goes higher than the G2's 15", I don't know if it looks like it should on paper, but from what I remember of my old compact it does. I actually think I could manage without the tweeter on my G3 Midget, it's shame it's not offered as an option.
I use a G2 and G3 Midget together with a small amp and they seem to play nicely together. Haven't dared gig both with my Shuttle 6 yet!