Why become a member? ×

Interesting discovery

vmaxblues

Whilst playing at a rehearsal last night, I had the thought to disconnect my 2 x 10" extension cab from my 2 x 10" combo to see if the single unit was enough (Markbass), the look on bandmembers faces after the following song was incredible, they loved the sound and felt that the balance within the band was now perfect! Now, I am not or at least didn't think I was a loud player, but indeed the sound was far more focussed.

Have a gig on the weekend and will just use the combo. Has anyone else experienced this? and I am now thinking about some kind of stand to elevate the combo, any ideas?

Cheers

Stuart

Yes having lived with my Berg 210 for a while now I'm coming round the the school of thought that a single 210 is enough for my needs. Although I won't be gigging without PA support, and I suspect I'd need another if I was - But for rehearsals it's more than enough in a loud rock band :) and would cetrainly suffice as a monitor.

Can't say the tone is more focused just using the one cab though? Maybe try just turning down a bit with the full rig, IMO the more speakers the better the overall feel to the sound.

Yeh, i just use a single 12 now.

I do think a lot of people feel they need to be louder than they necessarily do.

"they loved the sound and felt that the balance within the band was now perfect"

That's their way of telling you that you were too loud before :D

I'm not 100% sure on the effects of lifting the combo, as it can make it perform less desirably (there are threads on here where people with far more expertise talk about this)

But the tilting back thing is said to be a good idea! Couple of good options on Thomann.

I've not used it, but something like this:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/standback_ampstand.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/standback_ampstand.htm[/url] ?

People are too loud! It's funny how a lot of bassists don't really get just how far bass travels and just how swampy it can make everything sound if it's too loud.

I sigh with dispair when people say stuff like "I need a minimum 2x12 cab and a 500w amp". You only need that sort of power for PA! Brands have been conning us for years saying that we need tonnes of power and super bassy cabs. We really don't!

Anything under 100hz is mud. Once you cut those frequencies out of your life, you realise that you don't need massive cabs and you don't need loads of power.

I use a 100w 1x12 combo which is enough for pubs and clubs and previously I used an 80w 1x10 combo for about 18 months with no volume issues at all. If I did need to be louder I would simply DI from the combo to the PA.

OP - Thank you for sharing your revelation!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1448958670' post='2919485']
People are too loud!
[/quote]

That's pretty much what I said in a thread that I started a month or so ago.

And It totally baffles me when you go to rehearsal studios and bands are playing so ridiculously loud.

Do you know what frequency your A string vibrates at? 55Hz...
You need to be able to reproduce those frequencies accurately. You do need a certain amount of power, but in general a lot less than most people think. Back in the 80's/90's all you needed for most smal/medium venues was 200 watts or so. Now everyone's dragging 500W rigs with multiple cabs around! Do we really need this sort of power? I can't remember ever thinking the Dynacord couldn't cope!

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1448981065' post='2919765']
Do you know what frequency your A string vibrates at? 55Hz...
[/quote]

Yes, everybody knows.
Do you assume they don't know this?

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1448981065' post='2919765']
You need to be able to reproduce those frequencies accurately.
[/quote]

No, you don't. It's a matter of taste.
You may [b]choose[/b] to, and in case you'll need lotsa power because the amplitude in those low frequencies is trouserflappingly huge.

However, as said you do not [b]need[/b] to, as in the mix the important information about the bass guitar's sound is in the changing amplitudes of the overtones. Most knowledgeable people I've seen discussing this on BC state that gear going down to roughly 100Hz is good enough, though [b]some[/b] discussion does exist.

For all but the biggest gigs I only use one of my Barefaced Super12Ts. I used the two once at a rehearsal and the amount of sound just swamped the room, it was much better with just the one, much more focused. But it is nice to have the option, I played a very big venue last Friday and was very glad to have the pair of them.

There have been few threads recently about this. There are plenty of options if you want to raise your cab / speakers.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/270056-raising-small-cabs-off-the-ground/page__p__2873536__hl__lifting%20cab__fromsearch__1#entry2873536

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/262922-lifting-your-bass-cab-off-the-floor/page__hl__lifting%20cab

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256664-sitting-cab-on-top-of-flight-case/page__p__2702282__hl__lifting%20cab__fromsearch__1#entry2702282

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1448958670' post='2919485']
People are too loud! It's funny how a lot of bassists don't really get just how far bass travels and just how swampy it can make everything sound if it's too loud.

I sigh with dispair when people say stuff like "I need a minimum 2x12 cab and a 500w amp". You only need that sort of power for PA! Brands have been conning us for years saying that we need tonnes of power and super bassy cabs. We really don't!

Anything under 100hz is mud. Once you cut those frequencies out of your life, you realise that you don't need massive cabs and you don't need loads of power.

I use a 100w 1x12 combo which is enough for pubs and clubs and previously I used an 80w 1x10 combo for about 18 months with no volume issues at all. If I did need to be louder I would simply DI from the combo to the PA.

OP - Thank you for sharing your revelation!
[/quote]

Brilliant post!

I use a single Phil Jones C4.
I thought it wasn't powerful enough for pub gigs until I sat in the audience and realised it was simply because the sound towards the player.

Everything reacts differently when comparing a band and bedroom environment.

I would say if you think you have a nice bass sound in your house, then add lots of mids and a bit of treble, and then reduce the bass considerably to adapt the sound for the stage.

Edited by ltownbass

Something in the back of my mind says that an amp presumably running at 8ohms (i.e. your combo and its internal speaker) will sound slightly different to when its running at 4ohms with another cabinet, (aside from the obvious volume difference I mean).

Doesn't the greater impedance of an 8ohm load slightly tighten the sound up a bit? I don't know if that's imperceptible difference, or even if i'm talking cobblers - can anyone shed any light?

FWIW I used to gig with an old Peavey TVX210 cab for years and it was brilliant. I flogged it in a part-ex and really wish i hadn't as it was a good smallish rig.

Recently added a 500w LM3 to my home bodged 2x10 celestion neo cabinet.
With my previous amp the bottom end was crap.
With the LM3 it all tightened up, I was able to CUT low frequency and reduce overall level.
Same bass same speakers same me playing.
And I am in what someone once described as the loudest 60s nostalgia band they ever heard.... :lol:
There has to be a moral there.....

I only go out with a 210 these days, raised off the floor to just below ear height. Admittedly we do always have PA support with the bass DI'd.

We had a biggish corporate in Leicester last week & I added my 115 for the first time in about a year, thinking I'd need it for the large room. All I had was mud & the general sound was much improved for the second set after I'd disconnected it. Consequently I'm looking to flog it now :)

Can't understand guys going out with 810s etc.