Why become a member? ×

December Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450716395' post='2935165']
Not while Lenny's in the House..! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Aye!
I have an aversion to most things that are at all sensible or serious. But I realise that some of our older members have delicate sensitivities, so I've held off from producing my Fanfare For Four Flatulent Fellows and their Fetid Four-Legged Friend...

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1450792910' post='2935912']
well ive got something, its not up to my normal standard but it sounds ok, hopefuly will get it uploaded after i go to the cinema, if not tomorrow.
will be my first entry for probably over a year
[/quote]

Welcome back Rob! Looking forward to hearing it.

[b]PS: to anyone still beavering away, the deadline for entries is tomorrow at midnight (Wednesday 23rd).[/b]

Ok, I'm done.

A short and hopefully sweet number. Obviously not my singing [i](that would be one helluva plug-in!!)[/i]; lyrics and vocal courtesy of Laura James from Cumbria. Piano is the old, tatty upright that we have at home - recorded by placing a single condenser mic on the music stand above the keys, and then extensively EQ'd and mucked about with. Bass is a Precision strung with flats. Violin is all MIDI (no way Mrs Skol would let me buy a violin ;)).

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/dark-sky

I think we have over a dozen entries this month, so well done everyone. A great end to the year!

[b]PS: the voting thread will be posted up on the morning of the 24th.[/b]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1450799352' post='2935990']
Ok, I'm done.

A short and hopefully sweet number. [/quote]

That's cheating, that!
I think we should make a rule that all singing should be at least as bad as, if not worse than, mine!
Tis the thin end of the wedge, I tell you. It'll be real musicians as well next!
:D

Ok, I'm done...
[/quote]

... and so are we..! Or rather; undone. I concur from the 'cheating' point of view expressed above (although 'as bad as' Lenny is already tough; 'worse' is not to be countenanced, perish the thought..! :unsure: ). I'm thinking of proposing a modification of the rules, whereby the 'big guns' shoot it out between the'selves, and us tiddlers have a parallel universe in which to pretend we're in with a chance. 'Snot fair, wot wiv all this quality an' all; horse-racing has a handicap system to level the odds a bit; can we have something similar here..? How about 'Those that win have to compose the next one with one hand tied behind their back'..? Nah..! Too easy..! How about 'Winners are restricted, for their next six entries, to use only kazoos (no more than two...)'..? If I can find his 'phone number, can I be assisted by collaboration with Jean-Michel Jarre, please..? No; on second thoughts I think I'd rather try my luck with Joni Mitchell. Where's that 'phone..?
([i]Calls out wildly, hunting under cushions and behind the sofa... "Anyone seen the 'phone..? It was here somewhere last week, I'm sure... Nurse..! Nurse..?" Soft-slippered footsteps fade away...[/i])

Edited by Dad3353

Piano is the old, tatty upright that we have at home - recorded by placing a single condenser mic on the music stand above the keys, and then extensively EQ'd and mucked about with.
[/quote]

Goes very well with the singing. Almost unhinged, but delightful. Wouldn't have worked half as well with a Steinway concert grand. :)

ok so i got mine done. to be honest im not happy with my mix, out of practice and rushed so hope you like it anyway. the song is more of a demo to something else i may end up doing now so i have not included vocals on this one. but it's done so maybe i'll do one next month too.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/robslusarmusic/basschat-composition-challenge-december-a-force-awakens"]A Force Awakens[/url]

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1450905330' post='2936971']
ok so i got mine done...
[/quote]

Oh, what a shame..! Too long by one second, and so disqualified..! So close..! Never mind; next month, perhaps..? :sleep:

:lol: :P OK, it's Christmas; we'll be indulgent this time. B)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1450907205' post='2936996']
it doesnt start until 8 seconds so technically its 7 seconds short :P
[/quote]

Look, if you're going to start bickering about it, we could go to arbitration if you want. I'll call my lawyer... <_<

:lol:

There, you see..? From 1 second, we jump to first 7, then 8 seconds, now 5 whole minutes..! There's escalation for you (or inflation, if you prefer...)..! I'm not going to waste the next 1/4 of an hour on this; we'll let the Upper Echelons judge the matter, and maybe trust the popular vote. That 1 second may be the final straw that brings the chickens home to cross the road. You may end up regretting your flippancy then, and in that event I may not be charitable enough to be able to suppress a guffaw. :happy:

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1450942886' post='2937142']
'ang on. How do we know that those seven seconds are not Tacet bars?
[/quote]
i'm not that imaginitive.
in truth its only that long because for some reason one particular midi item can't start properly unless it has a few seconds lead in and the upload to sound cloud seems to have added a couple of seconds.

maybe i'll cut it down later if i can, but i don't think i'll have 7 or 8 seconds to do so im afraid :(