Why become a member? ×

Anyone near Edinburgh to try TKS S112 vs my 1126 cabs?

mcnach

Long shot, but here it goes:

I'm quite curious to hear what the S112 cabs sound like. In particular a pair of them.

I was wondering whether there's anybody reasonably near Edinburgh (say within a 90min drive or so) who has a pair and would be interested in getting together to compare cabs.
I have a pair of 1126 (one with tweeter, which is frankly unnecessary on this cab), and additionally a Barefaced Big Baby 2 and a Compact (2nd Gen) that I can also bring along if interested.

Anyone?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1448971211' post='2919641']
I've compared the 1126 and S112, if that helps..?
[/quote]

It's not as good as checking it out in person, but of course, I'd love to hear your impressions. :)
Did you try the 1126 before you got your S112/212? I'd like to hear what you felt gave the S112s the edge over the 1126, for your liking.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1448978945' post='2919736'] :lol: of course you'd catch that one!!! :lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1448970415' post='2919631']
I have a pair I can bring along if interested.
[/quote]

It's the gift that keeps on giving! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1448979077' post='2919740']
It's not as good as checking it out in person, but of course, I'd love to hear your impressions. :)
Did you try the 1126 before you got your S112/212? I'd like to hear what you felt gave the S112s the edge over the 1126, for your liking.
[/quote]

In a nutshell:[list]
[*][b]1126[/b] (no tweeter): Wide. big lows, nice, natural, clear highs, without tweeter fizz. Loud.
[*][b]S112[/b] (no tweeter): Nice woody bark, really brings out the voice of flats. Nice lows up to medium volume, when it starts to compress. Warm, round highs. Much lighter than the 1126. A pair of them is, IMO, sonic nirvana.
[/list]

I've used the S112's with a DB750, TH500, Demeter 800 and Ampeg PF500.

I only ever pair them but a single can just about take on a band ... not that I'd want to do this by choice as
it is working everything too hard ...including the bass player and the gig is a bust.. but if finesse or headroom
isn't critical, it will get you out of jail.

What I really like about the cabs is they are tone monsters. They seem sympathetic to the amp..or the ones I've tried
but retain character.

I still think my Aguliar DB rig shades it thru sheer heft, but it doesn't leave the TKS rig far behind...

I think we tried the 1126 briefly and the sound was too bloomy... I don't mean booming at all, but
just too big a sound ... Very nice but the extra money achieved nothing from my point of view
so we concentrated on the S112's which had a special character and voice... which adapted
to the amp we paired it with.

Probably a limited comparision and unfair 'observation' but we really went to hear the S112's anyway.

If you put nothing in... then you get less out. It isn't a BASSEY cab but it has the balls you'd (IMO) want.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1448989950' post='2919864']
I've used the S112's with a DB750, TH500, Demeter 800 and Ampeg PF500.

I only ever pair them but a single can just about take on a band ... not that I'd want to do this by choice as
it is working everything too hard ...including the bass player and the gig is a bust.. but if finesse or headroom
isn't critical, it will get you out of jail.

What I really like about the cabs is they are tone monsters. They seem sympathetic to the amp..or the ones I've tried
but retain character.

I still think my Aguliar DB rig shades it thru sheer heft, but it doesn't leave the TKS rig far behind...

I think we tried the 1126 briefly and the sound was too bloomy... I don't mean booming at all, but
just too big a sound ... Very nice but the extra money achieved nothing from my point of view
so we concentrated on the S112's which had a special character and voice... which adapted
to the amp we paired it with.

Probably a limited comparision and unfair 'observation' but we really went to hear the S112's anyway.

If you put nothing in... then you get less out. It isn't a BASSEY cab but it has the balls you'd (IMO) want.
[/quote]

You and WOT are right about the 1126 being 'big'. It's something I initially liked but as I've used them more I'm not so sure. I did not hear the 1126 or S112 before I pulled the trigger, so it was a gamble. The 1126 is nice but for the 'portable' solution I was after I'm thinking a pair of S112s would have been more suitable for me (and a lot cheaper!), after reading comments about them over the past year. The 'bark' that Michael mentions or 'special character' you talk about is the sort of thing that put me off a little, originally. I often hear those terms used for speakers that to me sound a little too 'boxy'. However they can also describe just that 'something' (definition?) that I wish my speakers had. I don't need a huge amount of bass for the situations where I'd use these speakers, the quality of the sound is more important and sounding 'big' is not a requirement a lot of the time.

What I have works, don't get me wrong, but I'd really like to be able to hear a pair of S112s up close and personal one of these days to see whether I should make the switch. For sheer volume, the BF speakers work, and even if I don't *love* the sound I get, they do a good enough job: they allow me to get loud and sound reasonably good with a minimum of fuss (hatchback driver here). But a lot of the gigs I play I don't need crazy volume and the tone is much more important... and I'm still looking for it. Will it ever end? ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1448986032' post='2919823']
In a nutshell:[list]
[*][b]1126[/b] (no tweeter): Wide. big lows, nice, natural, clear highs, without tweeter fizz. Loud.
[*][b]S112[/b] (no tweeter): Nice woody bark, really brings out the voice of flats. Nice lows up to medium volume, when it starts to compress. Warm, round highs. Much lighter than the 1126. A pair of them is, IMO, sonic nirvana.
[/list]
[/quote]

I've definitely got to check those S112 out.
I think I may be driving down near BassGear way early in the new year, so I'll keep that in mind.

The one thing I thought jumped out in our demo way back was that the s112's had an indefineable presense in the mid range.
And I agree, it is not at all honky, but it is definition of sound.

The cabs do full bass without it being overbearing..or baltting everyone else...which is completely different from
too much bass.

When you get players that play with a lot of people comment on your sound...because they can hear it rather than feel it,
then you know are getting there.

I've only gigged mine 3 times... and I'm getting there....and I'll refine it even more..IMO.
I knew what point I wanted to start from and I'm not seduced by bassey cabs over chacracter and tone.