Why become a member? ×

Drummer has handed in his notice

AndyTravis

Gutted,

Rehearsing last night, and our wonderful drummer announces he's not gigging after Christmas and the gigs in December will be his last. He has a high stress/long hours job - I fully understand and support his decision - but feel genuinely distressed about this.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for finding new drummers? Have put the feelers out, but typically, most mates are busy in their bands and other good drummers I know are working sessions or pit gigs which will make them unreliable.

Your drummer may know other drummers, ask him if he could recommend anyone, if not "Join My Band" seems to be the go to site for musicians....if Drumchat exists then an ad on there should get you noticed....bands come and go all the time, the band dynamic will change with a new member but onwards and upwards I think they say!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1448998328' post='2919975']
Good luck..... personally not at ALL keen about people getti ng back into it...and especially drums.
Being gig fit is quite a big thing...
[/quote]

Yeah, but as I'd like someone steady and not committed to other bands etc to save gig clashes etc. I know - I'm an idealist who is willing to compromise (my wife always calls me an oxymoron, or something like that)

It always really makes me nervous when a drummer leaves as for me they are the most important member of the band. Good drummers are worth their weight in gold. All I'll advise is that you try a few as well as your mate and go for the one that puts a smile on your face when you play together. Good luck.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1449000951' post='2920015']
It always really makes me nervous when a drummer leaves as for me they are the most important member of the band. Good drummers are worth their weight in gold. All I'll advise is that you try a few as well as your mate and go for the one that puts a smile on your face when you play together. Good luck.
[/quote]

Yeah, this is a guy I've played with off and on for 18 years so I'll be sad to see him pack up. I suppose he wants a life and as the job pays the bills and the band is just a bit of spare cash he has had to prioritise.

We keep losing drummers at an alarming rate - always through work/personal stuff - we've been very unlucky.

Have just recruited our latest one, ironically through the ad for the previous one. I had luckily kept the details of an interested party who had missed the boat by about a day when we found the last guy.

Turns out he is was still free and interested (it's only been about 6 weeks!), and hey presto, we have a new drummer! :)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1448999437' post='2919992']
Yeah, but as I'd like someone steady and not committed to other bands etc to save gig clashes etc. I know - I'm an idealist who is willing to compromise (my wife always calls me an oxymoron, or something like that)
[/quote]
There is something to be said for that - we have not the most technical drummer but he is always available, always rehearses, always knows the songs etc, and that is good for business

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1448998328' post='2919975']
Good luck..... personally not at ALL keen about people getti ng back into it...and especially drums.
Being gig fit is quite a big thing...
[/quote]

Just to offer a juxtaposed view- we did this 12 months ago with a drummer who had not played since 1982 when he got married.

It took him about 2 mins to get the groove back and 15 to get the fills going. To be honest, I've played with worse drummers even for the 2 mins he was getting back up to speed.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1449168908' post='2921300']
Just to offer a juxtaposed view- we did this 12 months ago with a drummer who had not played since 1982 when he got married.

It took him about 2 mins to get the groove back and 15 to get the fills going. To be honest, I've played with worse drummers even for the 2 mins he was getting back up to speed.
[/quote]

Indeed, I dare say a few bands would take a chance on Dave Grohl.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1449166893' post='2921282']
Quick suggestion - record your remaining gigs (we use a Tascam DR 05) so that your new drummer can get up to speed quickly. Brilliant little thing for around £70 which will be worth its' weight in gold.
[/quote]

Yeah we have a zoom equivalent, handy thing - good suggestion cheers!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1448993680' post='2919916']
Gutted,

Rehearsing last night, and our wonderful drummer announces he's not gigging after Christmas and the gigs in December will be his last. He has a high stress/long hours job - I fully understand and support his decision - but feel genuinely distressed about this.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for finding new drummers? Have put the feelers out, but typically, most mates are busy in their bands and other good drummers I know are working sessions or pit gigs which will make them unreliable.
[/quote]

We're going through the same thing. Our drummer gave notice a few weeks ago.

What's so depressing is that our drummer is top shelf, great timing, great fills and chops, he reminds me of Mitch Mitchells. he really moved our band up a notch with his sound. He's older ,my age early 60s and wants to cut back on gigging.

I don't know what were going to do, we might have to take a hit on drum quality, were not going to find anyone as good as him and it's hard to find guys that will put up with our busy schedule.

Blue

There must be a basschat equivelant like .....errrr.... Drumchat ? Loads of talented chimps on here so in the drummers parallel universe of drum chat there may be just the guy waiting for you?

Worth a trawl and maybe drop a post to set up some ordy's ?

Don't dispair mate, that twitchy ,can't sit still, little oddballs outthere somewhere :)

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1449185716' post='2921466']
There must be a basschat equivelant like .....errrr.... Drumchat ? Loads of talented chimps ...[/quote]
Made me think of the [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem"]infinite monkey theorem[/url] although it does assume that drummers can type ;)

Another Spinal Tap here - current drummer told us yesterday he's leaving for his former band. He left them because he thought he wasn't playing well enough, we recruited him and his self confidence has improved greatly. He prefers the material the other band's doing (rather more soul than us).

The drummer before him, incidentally, hadn't gigged regularly for about 20 years (did very occasional reunion gigs, less than one a year) and he very quickly got back into it.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1448993680' post='2919916']
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, Geddy.